First gig with the Mark V (combo): report

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBG200

Reaction score
So last night was my first gig w/my Mark V combo. This was a corner bar, cover band (70s-00s), two guitars in the mix. It was actually really my first time playing the Mark V in a band at all so let me say as an aisde, I don't really recommend making your initial band tweaks with this amp on stage. :D

Signal path: '52 Hot Rod Tele > Bud Wah > TS808 (TW Texas Flood) > Mark V > Line 6 M9 in the loop

45 watts, all diodes, SED EL34s. Actual settings in the pix below.

R1 Tweed: Glorious edge-of-crunch clean sound. Sounded phenomenal with a little push from the TS, which I had set for very low gain--just to add a little fatness and hair. I used this about 20% of the night--would have no problem using it more, just that the music didn't call for it that much. Cut through amazingly well. Maybe a little too much treble, but it's hard to keep a hot Tele from doing that.

R2 Crunch: I spent probably 70% of the night in this channel. It had such a great bite to it, and with the TS, fattened up for a great thick lead sound. Probably as close to a "perfect" sound I've ever gotten on stage.

R3 Extreme: Jury's still out on this. Used it about 10% of the time. I love this channel playing at home, but it was very mushy and midrangey, almost too fat, last night. I used the EQ (V) part of the time and tried tweaking that throughout the night to get it to cut through, but it seemed sort of all-or-none. I had the gain about half way up so I wasn't going too nuts. One possible issue is that I had it in triode. Maybe next time I'll do pentode and switch it over to 90 watts to stiffen it up a bit. Stage performance didn't really lend itself to spending too much time tweaking it, and with the R2 + TS combination being so amazing, I didn't have much need for R3--I mainly just used it for the sake of seeing if I could get a decent sound out of it. I'm sure I will be able to eventually, and being a Mesa, some tweak time is understood.

Edit: I just listened back to some of the show and the R3 parts sounded way better than I thought at the time. I think it's probably more of a feel thing.

One other issue: Trying to get the channels at a good volume balance. With the dynamics of the songs being different and needing certain crunch levels at different volumes, it's always tough. I usually run a volume pedal my amps, either after gain pedals if everything out front, or last in an effects loop. I didn't do this last night, but probably should have. I found myself turning around a lot and turning channel master knobs (mainly R3) pretty often. I just wanted to see if I could keep interfering components to a minimum, but I may have to live with volume pedal tone suck.

Anyway, the bottom line is I could probably live in R2 forever and be happy with this amp. It sat in the mix so well and was perfect for the classic/modern rock vibe.

If any of the recordings come out I'll find a way to post 'em.

Rock on!

Settings used:

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

Cool, thanks for the report. Any clips would be great :D

How does the M9 work for you in the loop? I'm considering getting one.

SBG200 said:
So last night was my first gig w/my Mark V combo. This was a corner bar, cover band (70s-00s), two guitars in the mix. It was actually really my first time playing the Mark V in a band at all so let me say as an aisde, I don't really recommend making your initial band tweaks with this amp on stage. :D

Signal path: '52 Hot Rod Tele > Bud Wah > TS808 (TW Texas Flood) > Mark V > Line 6 M9 in the loop

45 watts, all diodes, SED EL34s. I'll post pix of my settings when I get the amp back.

R1 Tweed: Glorious edge-of-crunch clean sound. Sounded phenomenal with a little push from the TS, which I had set for very low gain--just to add a little fatness and hair. I used this about 20% of the night--would have no problem using it more, just that the music didn't call for it that much. Cut through amazingly well. Maybe a little too much treble, but it's hard to keep a hot Tele from doing that.

R2 Crunch: I spent probably 70% of the night in this channel. It had such a great bite to it, and with the TS, fattened up for a great thick lead sound. Probably as close to a "perfect" sound I've ever gotten on stage.

R3 Extreme: Jury's still out on this. Used it about 10% of the time. I love this channel playing at home, but it was very mushy and midrangey, almost too fat, last night. I used the EQ (V) part of the time and tried tweaking that throughout the night to get it to cut through, but it seemed sort of all-or-none. I had the gain about half way up so I wasn't going too nuts. One possible issue is that I had it in triode. Maybe next time I'll do pentode and switch it over to 90 watts to stiffen it up a bit. Stage performance didn't really lend itself to spending too much time tweaking it, and with the R2 + TS combination being so amazing, I didn't have much need for R3--I mainly just used it for the sake of seeing if I could get a decent sound out of it. I'm sure I will be able to eventually, and being a Mesa, some tweak time is understood.

One other issue: Trying to get the channels at a good volume balance. With the dynamics of the songs being different and needing certain crunch levels at different volumes, it's always tough. I usually run a volume pedal my amps, either after gain pedals if everything out front, or last in an effects loop. I didn't do this last night, but probably should have. I found myself turning around a lot and turning channel master knobs (mainly R3) pretty often. I just wanted to see if I could keep interfering components to a minimum, but I may have to live with volume pedal tone suck.

Anyway, the bottom line is I could probably live in R2 forever and be happy with this amp. It sat in the mix so well and was perfect for the classic/modern rock vibe.

If any of the recordings come out I'll find a way to post 'em.

Rock on!

Sweet!

Don't give up on Ch3 yet! It does take time to get all of the channels down working together smoothly.

Extreme is well too extreme for my taste.

For the tightest feel on Ch3 I use the iiC+ channel on pentode....I used MarkiV too. You have to turn the volume up a tad more with darker more midrangy sounds. They feel great!

I have gotten lots of positive feedback on my Ch3 sounds live.

It's funny because I had the hardest time dialing in Ch2! : )

yarzo said:

I used to love the M9 when I ran it in front of my Bassman, but in the effects loop of the V, it's a little finicky. I notice some pretty large volume differences between some of the effects, and they don't have any level control to adjust them. Some are too loud, some too quiet, some in the middle. So for some of the quieter effects, I made a slight volume boost patch at the end that I hit at the same time. Overall the unit's especially good for those effects you may want to use once a night but don't want to go spend $75 on that individual pedal.

Sounds like you're off to a good start!! I've had mine for about 9 months now and it's a great amp. Like you my first gig with the V was a real learning experiance. I have found the the only way to go is 90 watts in all channels. just turn down the master volume a bit. Wait till you play an outdoor gig!!!! Then the beast really comes to life. You are right about R2. it has a very flexable gain structure. you can really get into your volume control on the guitar on this one. As far as R3 it is the hardest chan. to get a handle on. I use pentode sounds better to Me. Go for nice sustaining lead sound and go from there. I also use a widebody thiele it gets rid of a lot of the peaks that the combo alone can have and seems to make the amp more balanced between channels. (I think thepower section of the amp works better with a 4 ohm load on it) Have fun...I still am .....

yarzo said:

I have...and have had M9s and 13s, and and while they do sound pretty good....there's definite tone suckage with both of them....it's faint, but my **** ear picks it up.

MY opinion is that only 90 watts pentode in all channels for live playing and you will not only cut thru the mix you will master, dominate and piss off everybody. The manual suggests this as well. I use 45 and 10 watts for playing at home with the triode.

Part of the reason CH 3 may have sounded better on the recording is because when you are playing live you are kind of stuck in a certain area on the stage and really won't hear anything that sounds like what the audience is hearing 20 + feet away... even if you prop up the amp. I may be a little more stuck than most because I am also the singer, so I don't even have the luxury of tweaking minor things mid-song, but I for sure like to get set up pre-gig, and step out from the amp as far as I can to audition all the tones I will be using for the gig. Then when I am acutally playing I just have to trust that it sounds good out front. It really is amazing the difference in the tone and level as you chunk away and walk away from the amp. Especially if you are trying to blend your levels (some may read "Compete") with another guitar player, some rooms can be really weird in this regard. I know this is all elementary stuff... but it's easy to forget at the time...when you're living in the now!!

Hi guys, My Mesa Mark V head seems too quiet to me, compared to my Mesa Single Rec 50 it's lost.
Last night's gig I had Mark V master vol on 3 o clock. I ended even turning up my fx send from 12 o clock to 2 o clock and then backing down the master vol to 1 o clock.
My EQ is standard V shape settings pretty much standard but on ch 3 my input vol was 2 o clock, it's quiet on all channels. I know you guys think these settings should blow me through a brick wall but it simply seems down on output power to what it should be. My next gig I intend to by pass fx loop for a clean signal path and just work the input volumes on all channels and see how this compares, the loss of the solo switch is a real pain and I do like to use loop for the Flash Back TC electronics delay. Some of you Mesa wizards might have an idea I haven't thought of. If all else fails I'll buy a Marshall JVM 210H. I can only crank my amp up at gigs and we're not due to rehearse for another month.
I've fitted 4 new 6L6's output valves. I use Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic Strat HSS Floyd Rose and Gibson Les Paul Axcess.
Any ideas please...Steve

4406cuda said:
Channel 3, 90 Watts, and Extreme with Pentode is what I use.
stevegit said:
Hi guys, My Mesa Mark V head seems too quiet to me, compared to my Mesa Single Rec 50 it's lost.
Last night's gig I had Mark V master vol on 3 o clock. I ended even turning up my fx send from 12 o clock to 2 o clock and then backing down the master vol to 1 o clock.
My EQ is standard V shape settings pretty much standard but on ch 3 my input vol was 2 o clock, it's quiet on all channels. I know you guys think these settings should blow me through a brick wall but it simply seems down on output power to what it should be. My next gig I intend to by pass fx loop for a clean signal path and just work the input volumes on all channels and see how this compares, the loss of the solo switch is a real pain and I do like to use loop for the Flash Back TC electronics delay. Some of you Mesa wizards might have an idea I haven't thought of. If all else fails I'll buy a Marshall JVM 210H. I can only crank my amp up at gigs and we're not due to rehearse for another month.
I've fitted 4 new 6L6's output valves. I use Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic Strat HSS Floyd Rose and Gibson Les Paul Axcess.
Any ideas please...Steve

Have you tried replacing your preamp tubes as well especially the the PI number 7? That could be a possibility.

Latest posts

Back