First Boogie - SOB Head and Speaker Questions. New Guy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killianr

Reaction score
I live in Berlin and have an SOB Head on the way in a few weeks and have some beginner type questions which are related to the speaker i want to get and the cab i have. Would be very grateful for help.

I believe it is a 100 watt head - do i have to use a 100 watt speaker in the cab (1x12)? I imagine i will mostly be using the half power feature on the head for now anyway. I have a 1x12 cab with a Celestion G12H in it (30 watts) I assume that this won't work with a 100 watt head even in half power mode but could i get a 60 watt speaker such as a Vintage 30 and be safe ?

To be honest i don't mind damaging the speaker over time as long as it doesn't damage the head.

Also, i am not sure what impedance the speaker output is for the SOB head as i haven't recieved it yet. Do i have to strictly match impedances ? I have heard you can go higher on the speaker side but not lower.

As my cab is a 1x12 i would love some suggestions for speakers. Celestion are the most convenient for me as they are UK based as far as i know and US speakers are more expensive here.

Lastly, is there a good rescource out there to learn some basic technical stuff about guitar amps and things like impedance/wattage questions like i am asking here so i don't annoy you guys every 10 minutes ?

Thanks again,

Killian

Hey Killian,

I've never a played an SOB before. But I keep hearing that it's close to a Mark I. If that's so, then the EVM12L is the speaker that it was voiced with, or at least close to it. They're heavy and quite expensive though. Eminence and Weber have their own version of the EVM12L, so they're cheaper. They're all rated over 100 watts, so you're safe there.

If you wanna use Vintage 30 then you're okay too, as long as you don't crank the amp up. It's safer to use two of them though in a 2x12 cab, but then you don't have that. EVM is a "clean" speaker, as opposed to most Celestion's guitar speaker which breaks up (in terms of sound that is) pretty easily. You might wanna look into their sound reinforcement line of speakers (coz they're cleaner sounding) instead if you insist in using Celestions.

No need to blow speakers. :wink: Good luck.

~trem

Thanks for the reply. Is the Eminence Delta Pro 12-A the speaker that is like the EVM12L ? I can get those here in Germany and they are not so expensive.

I envy you guys there in the US sometimes as you can get everything easily and at a much cheaper price. If i wanted to buy a new Mesa amp it would be cheaper to fly to New York and buy it there and bring it back than to buy it in Europe. The voltage here is different though as we use 230 volts. I presume touring musicians have to deal with this all the time so it is a problem that can be overcome.

Thanks again.

Killian

Yeah, you just gotta buy a stepdown transformer although I'm sure Mesa would build you one with Euro voltage transformers and sell it to you here. Besides, it's a great excuse to go to New York.

killianr said:
Thanks for the reply. Is the Eminence Delta Pro 12-A the speaker that is like the EVM12L ? I can get those here in Germany and they are not so expensive.
Well, Eminence claim that they're similar :lol:. Haven't tried those, but there are forum members here that prefers them to the original. You can do a search here.

~trem

Buy a Diezel, then fly to NYC, sell the Diezel, buy a Road King II, fly home, sel the Mesa, and I think you'll make like $2000USD ;)

Latest posts

Back