F-50 vs Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Guys.....I tried, really I did. I went back to yet a different store (Va Beach) and fired up the ole F-50. I was pumped up because I really want a more portable solution to the Rectoverb. I'd been hearing good things now for 6 months (since I first tried and failed at buying an F-50). I've heard clips that showed promise, I read articles and reviews.....then I plugged a Les Paul into the amp :(
The clean is fine, don't get me wrong...very nice on channel 1. It's the overdrive....I'll preface this by saying that I LOVE the rectifier overdrive tones. They along with the Soldano are what I believe to be the best gain sounds in the industry. Well, I tweaked and torqued and twisted...nothing. If anything, the more I played with it the worse it sounded. The store rep finally came in and said the words I feared he would say. "do you want to try something a little more aggressive?" We then paraded thru some amps that I really had no interest in. The nicest overdrive of the bunch was a Budda combo.
I've now tried 3 different F-50's in 3 different stores and will no longer consider them as a potential amp in my arsenal (at least until next month :lol: ). To clarify, I also feel this way about Fenders....nice amps, just not for me.
I truly believe the F-50 is a fine amp and for someone who doesn't need Vai/Satriani type of gain, would be a good choice.

it depends on what sound you want. the f 50 sounded much warmer to my ears when i played them side by side. i liked the f 50 clean more then the rectoverb too.
its true, the recto was capable of trully amazing sounding hi gain. in fact, it got downright satanic when pushed. the thing is, as much as that sound givees me a woody, it isnt exactly "my tone". the f 50 had a more unique, warmer voice. and the f 50s gain is brutal enough for biohazzard, sabbath, metallica. i play mine through a 4x12 cabinet and i must say. its evil sounding too.
:twisted:

Cliff, the tone on the ROV is what Michael at Mesa called "throaty". An almost saxophone like sound. I heard a clip of some european prog band (courtesy of HC f-50 forum) that was exactly the tone I wanted. I just can't reproduce it with stock equipment, meaning guitar and amp only. I have no doubt that the F-50 sounds great thru 4-12's, as do many amps pushed thru big cabs, but that's my issue. I want a simple combo with no extension cabs and unfortunately the F-50 falls short. The F-30 was closer to the gain sound that I'm looking for and I may have to deal with the loss of clean tone that the F-50 gives you.

cliff hetfield said:
it depends on what sound you want. the f 50 sounded much warmer to my ears when i played them side by side. i liked the f 50 clean more then the rectoverb too.
its true, the recto was capable of trully amazing sounding hi gain. in fact, it got downright satanic when pushed. the thing is, as much as that sound givees me a woody, it isnt exactly "my tone". the f 50 had a more unique, warmer voice. and the f 50s gain is brutal enough for biohazzard, sabbath, metallica. i play mine through a 4x12 cabinet and i must say. its evil sounding too.
:twisted:

Sorry but I can't find the link... DannstheMan was the original link provider but I can;t seem to find the message he posted with the address.

blacksunshine said:
hc f 50 forum...what is the actual web address for this...

The Mesa F-series lounge is here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856&perpage=100&pagenumber=1

Come on over and sign in.

BTW, TheRazMeister, the guy you're talking about is Tommi Inkila and he is playing an F-50 head through a H&K 4x12 with V30's. His setting looks like this, but with the Mids up to 1:00:

hal9000HumbuckerMetalRhythmCH2Contour.jpg

Here's his setup:

hal9000TommisRigRevD.png

Thanks Hal.....I had a feeling he wasn't playing thru the F-50 combo... 8) Tommi is a very good player and gets some really nice sounds.

hal9000 said:
The Mesa F-series lounge is here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856&perpage=100&pagenumber=1

Come on over and sign in.

BTW, TheRazMeister, the guy you're talking about is Tommi Inkila and he is playing an F-50 head through a H&K 4x12 with V30's. His setting looks like this, but with the Mids up to 1:00:

hal9000HumbuckerMetalRhythmCH2Contour.jpg

Here's his setup:

hal9000TommisRigRevD.png

Good idea Andy....I wish I had them last week when I was in VA Beach :(
I ended up getting the Crate V32 Palomino for our Church. 30 Watt Class A 1x12 combo. Very nice and easy to get great sounds. I'll probably still be in the market for a smaller (than the ROV) combo for personal use and guess I'll keep the F-50 on the list (for the 3rd time lol)

Dann'sTheMan said:
:?: Hmmm. Have you tried taking hal9000's excellent audition settings with you?

Big smiles,

Andy.

Latest posts

Back