F-50 vs. 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonich

Reaction score
I have yet to play either of these amps and am looking for some comments on them from those that have played both. I'm looking to get a 50W 6L6 amp to compliment my LSS. I'd like to get something with higher gain for when the need arises, but also have a power amp section that plays very clean. (I can see driving the 6L6s with the LSS pre-amp on occasion too.)

From reading here it appears Mesa rolled back the gain a bit with the 5:50 vs. the F-50, but that the cleans may be a bit better.

Any comments? Thanks!

I had an F-50 for about 2 years. I really dug the amp. Good distortion and could get quite heavy. I had the 1 x 12. Since I sold it i went back to a Fender Twin because I just could not get the cleans I wanted out of the F-50. Now after several distortion pedals and months of playing with it live and in the studio I have found that the 5:50 really seems to suit me best. I have the 2 x 12 which is very responsive and the clean is killer IMO. I also really dig the crunch channel and the tube reverb!! The F50 is a little heavier as far as the distortion goes but the express really is so much more versatile for my needs. It's only been 5 days but I'm really diggin' this amp, oh BTW the 5 watt setting is priceless to me. If you really are looking for just the amp to give that heavy distortion without the use of pedals check out the both but the F50 is a little heavier. If you want some versatility and don't mind a pedal to help with dist, check out the express and you'll have alot more options. I'll give it the gig test on Sat. Hope this helps Simon. 8)

If your set list includes mostly songs with thick distortion go F-50 all the way. If you want 'better' cleans and color it with OD/pedals go 5:50. You can probably find a real sweet deal on the F-50 new. As always, try before you buy if you can!

Latest posts

Back