F-50 combo questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds22

Reaction score
Hey all, nice board. Small intro, I've owned two boogies in the past. A DC-5 combo, never really liked it, and a Tremoverb combo, liked it a lot. I stopped gigging in 2000 and sold the TOV.

I currently have an Avatar 212 and a Laney LC50 combo. The Laney is for sale to help pay for an F-50 combo.

I was wondering how the F50 combo sounds by itself, without an extension cab? I might have to sell the Avatar to pay for the F50 but would I be missing to much with just the combo vs. the 212 cab?

If I use the combo by itself, would you recommend a different speaker instead of the C90? I was thinking a Hellatone 60L might sound a bit bigger than the C90, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks,
Jerry

Just the widebody F50 sounds good but it has a tendency to woof out, depending on your playing and your settings. If you want a tighter sound then you may want to compliment with a closed 2x12.

I liked vintage 30s with my F50.

Part of it depends on preference, obviously. Some love the V30 with the F50. I have a V30 and personally prefer the C90, though they do sound pretty good together.

Personally, I find the 1x12 with the C90 is fine. I have a 2x12 with a H30 and V30 in it, and while the F50 sounds good through it a little more bass and a tighter bottom end, but it's not enough better to warrant lugging the 2x12 around. I plug into it at home on occasion, but that's about it.

If you really think you want a 2x12, I'd suggest getting the 60L in a 1x12 cab and running it together with the C90 in the 1x12 combo. I did that at home for a while...a little mini stack. But again, never bothered to lug the extra cab out of the house.

If you really think you want a 2x12, I'd suggest getting the 60L in a 1x12 cab and running it together with the C90 in the 1x12 combo. I did that at home for a while...a little mini stack. But again, never bothered to lug the extra cab out of the house.

That's not a bad idea. I don't gig but occasionally get together with some guys. Even then I'd most likely just take the combo by itself.

Thanks,
Jerry

jds22 said:
Hey all, nice board. Small intro, I've owned two boogies in the past. A DC-5 combo, never really liked it, and a Tremoverb combo, liked it a lot. I stopped gigging in 2000 and sold the TOV.

I currently have an Avatar 212 and a Laney LC50 combo. The Laney is for sale to help pay for an F-50 combo.

I was wondering how the F50 combo sounds by itself, without an extension cab? I might have to sell the Avatar to pay for the F50 but would I be missing to much with just the combo vs. the 212 cab?

If I use the combo by itself, would you recommend a different speaker instead of the C90? I was thinking a Hellatone 60L might sound a bit bigger than the C90, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks,
Jerry

THe F-5- with the stock speaker is an awesome little amp. It's got a very full, tight sound, and can definitely hold its own in most full band situations, even without micing it up. I love mine, and wouldn't change a thing. If I want a "bigger" sound, I run through an older Fender open back 2x12. Sure, speakers can change things a bit, but the amp itself is a screamer, and I think if you try one, you'll understand.

Back