F-30 or Express 5:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
I am looking at one of these amps to replace my .50 cal +. i tonally want to go from Jazzy cleans to slight creamy breakup ala Allmans and Skynyrd.

Anyone who has any opions, let me know.

For what you are after, the Express will be a great choice. I have the 5:50 and it is wonderful.

Richt :D

Just my 2 cents, Ive owned the f50 and it was a killer amp. Ive messed around with the f30 and the two seem very similar. I currently do not own either right now.
Three days ago I purchased a brand new 5:25. I brought it home and played it for about 3 hours straight. I loved the amp in all aspects especially being delighted that the 10 inch speaker can handle so much bass and really sounds pretty close to a 12inch. Great amp. Reverb is excellent too.
My problem with the amp started as soon as I turned it on though. I didnt notice this problem at the store so much. When I turned it on it had what I consider way too much background noise. The noise didnt increase with more gain,, just increased when I raised the master volume. I really dont remember the f30/50 being this noisy. My rectoverb combo which has loads of more available gain is extremely quiet compared to this amp, even when its dimed out.
I tried everything I could think of,, swapped tubes, tried different guitars, different cables, I never hooked up any effects at all,, just guitar, cable and amp. I played this amp solid for hours at about 80% maxed, hoping with any luck it would work itself out. No luck. I wound up calling mesa directly and spoke to a guy who ran me through a couple possible cures which I already tried to no fix. He wound up saying that this is an inherant trait of the express series. Whether or not this is totally true, I dont know. I found the noise to be worst on the 2nd channel blues mode believe it or not regardless of the amount of gain.
I only suggest really trying this amp out before you dish out $1100 for it.
Or make sure you can get your doe back. I wouldnt see it so much of a prob if it was a higher wattage amp made to be really loud. I bought it for home use and even at half maxed I found it to be very annoying with background noise. And I refuse to go out and buy a noise suppressor for a new $1100 small amp.
Other than the noise I cant imagine a better made, better sounding amp in this catagory. It really is a sweet amp if it wasnt for this noise.
Maybe they will fix this one day,,, I will own one then.

Latest posts

Back