F-30 head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredmullegun

Reaction score
Hey I have a Heartbreaker combo and need something to bridge the gap to modern gain sounds.

Will a F-30 head do it?

I really should probably get a DR but with all the different versions, expense and physical size I am leaning toward an entry model MEsa.

Heartbreaker covers basically all my vintage/low gain needs, can the F-30 give me SLayer, Metallica, and onto the 90's pearl jam, alice in chains grunge? I know it CAN do it (my heartbreaker can) but will it excel here? Cleans are a non-factor, I just need modern gain and crunch.

This sucker is so light and small it has my mouth watering.

Yes! I just pulled out the F-30 tonight and I totally forgot about the great grind from this amp/ For leads I use a BB Preamp and it just kills. A lot of fun! I keep seeing these used at Guitar Center for around $400.00
Good luck.

I've got an F-30 and really like it's gain channel. I think the El84s give it a better tone than either the F-50 or F-100. It's not as "cutting" as the Recto and has a slightly crunchier quality to it. Not quite as much gain as a Recto but still more than I need. I sold my F-100. In a head to head comparison the 50 and 100 models both sounded darker and less articulate than the F-30. And, of course, they had tons more headroom.

Any of the F's sound much louder than their wattage would lead you to believe. My 30 drowns out my Marshall 401 (40 watt) and goes toe to toe with a Marshall 50 watt head.

Back