express 50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy

Reaction score
Hi
Ive been using an express 50 now for the few months , yes its been back to coda a few times and revalved by messa due to the local radio station and taxi cabs coming through during gigs , all sorted now... what i like about this amp was the 2 channels , good classic rock rhythm and burn for solos , good jump in volume , and i am using les paul , the problem is that the solos dont cut through the mix of the band , the volume is high and i back of the gain , the other band members keep complaning about the over the top volume , but out front it dosnt cutt through, ive used marshall and laney that cutt like a knife ,no change with ajustment on mids , ive turned the base right down , ive re read the manual and played around , and it can be mushie at time too ...I also notice the tone changes during gigs as the amp gets hotter. any idears ,
ps i dont want to run any pedals in to the amp after spending ££££ on it
andy :? :?

Have you tried turning down the gain a little. Also i use the blues setting with a bad monkey pedal for leads and it cuts very well. Watch the bass, mine is barely on, on the second channel, it's at 12 oclock on the clean channel. also watch the contour pot, I don't use it for leads (turn it off for leads) I bought two bad monkey pedal(very cheap $39 new) set up one for the clean channel with boost and one for the second channel(blues setting). next a treble boost pedal will be great for your leads to cut. I turned my reverb into a treble boost instead of reverb but you lose your reverb. last thing is your power tubes sound like they're running a little hot? it might be a good idea to have someone check out the bias on the amp. I know you don't need to set the bias on mesa's but the tubes your running could be running out side the normal mesa bias.

Temperature will affect the way the tubes sound, and it also shortens their life, by a fan if you don't like it. As for not cutting through the mix, try using an amp stand to get it off the floor. If that does not work for you, and you don't want an EQ pedal, experiment with different speakers. Good luck!

thanks chaps , i really wanted to aviod pedals after spending £1000 on an amp , but i will give it a go and try out your idears , many thanks
andy

I've heard of others on this site using an EQ pedal in the effects loop just for their solos. For just raising the volume that might work better than pedals before the preamp stage. When ever I have trouble cutting through I can usually fix the problem with raising my mids and lowering my bass and of course keeping the gain within a usable range as Mesa recommends.

MJ Slaughter said:
I've heard of others on this site using an EQ pedal in the effects loop just for their solos. For just raising the volume that might work better than pedals before the preamp stage. When ever I have trouble cutting through I can usually fix the problem with raising my mids and lowering my bass and of course keeping the gain within a usable range as Mesa recommends.

Hi
Ive lowed the base , backed off the gain , i have used a eq pedal with a laney in the effect loop for solo boast , which works really well. the reson i brought the express was to have 2 good drive channels with out pedals , i cant seem to get over the mushy sound and cutt through the band..the express is brand new and has been checked out by messa tec , brand new vales fitted by them.,,,i wanted this amp to be my last after spending £1000s over the years
andy

If you use your neck pickup to solo, try turning the gain back up on the amp and rolling a little volume back on the bridge pickup so that you have a little volume boost when you play leads....other then that maybe get a volume pedal and just turn the amp up a little louder and play with the pedal 3/4's open and when you hit a lead just open it up all the way, too bad it doesn't have a solo boost like the rectos do...I wish the 2 channels had the boost..

on the second channel I am turning the Bass, treble, and mids all the way up. Then I work the gain to where I want it, which with everything dimed, it lets me run the gain pot lower with the same gain, it just sounds better to me this way. This is like you would run a Plexi for max gain. With the boogie it gives me a nice tone without the flub. maybe it will work for you.

Maybe not the answer you're looking for Andy but you could get yourself over to Machinehead Music in Hitchin and try out a Koch Twintone (if they've currently got one in stock).
50 or 25W. Reverb. 3 channels and a solo/rhythm switch for a boost when you need it.
Great clean channel and 2 OD channels. Quieter than the Express and I've never picked up any local taxi cabs on it!
If you liked it, they're cheaper than the Express and you'd probably get a good price for the Boogie on Ebay.
(Oh and you might be able to negotiate the price on the Koch).

Back