Express 5:50 combo to head conversion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardcr

Reaction score
I'm the owner of an Express 5.50 (for blues) and a Transatlantic TA30 (for the British sound I grew up with and played in the 60's). I bought both when I retired last year, and decided to start playing again after 40 years away from it.

However, I've now found myself joining a group of guitarists and other musicians who gig together regularly so I will now need to transport my amps.

The problem is - since buying the amps I have developed minor heart problems, and although the weight of the amps wouldn't have created difficulties, it now does.

So to the point!! I've seen some discussion on here about a combo to head conversion on the Express 5.50, and I thought that this might be a great idea in terms of splitting the weight to be carried.

However - two questions arise.
1. My 5.50 is in the gorgeous Burgundy colour with the Tan grill - what would be the possibility of buying a head in the same colour?
2. I have found a list of the dimensions and weights of all the Mesa Boogie amps and cabs. According to this, the weight of the 5.50 1x12 combo is 54lbs, and the weight of the 5.50 head is 38lbs.
This sounds somewhat heavy, especially considering that the weight of the 12" cabs is around 30-35lbs. Could anyone confirm the weight of the 5.50 head? If the difference to the combo is only 16lbs, I doubt if my heart will really notice the difference!!

With the TA30 - I find that I don't enjoy this sound as much as I once did, so I'm not using it much. So I might sell it, but to give me the flexibility I might buy a TA15 head and 10" cab (better for playing at home too!)

Apologies for the long initial post!
Edward

does colour really matter?

don't waste your time, just sell those combos and get a 5:25 head and enjoy your retirement...

Latest posts

Back