Express 5:25 - To buy or not to buy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfarnell

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice low power amp in a head cab and was checking out the Express 5:25. I haven't really liked the tone of EL84 amps before and have gone through a bunch, but I'm told that the 5:25 doesn't sound thin and fizzy. I can't imagine a Mesa amp sounding thin, so if any of you 5:25 owners out there can compare it to other EL84 amps that you've tried it will really help me out.

Thanks.

sfarnell said:
I'm looking for a nice low power amp in a head cab and was checking out the Express 5:25. I haven't really liked the tone of EL84 amps before and have gone through a bunch, but I'm told that the 5:25 doesn't sound thin and fizzy. I can't imagine a Mesa amp sounding thin, so if any of you 5:25 owners out there can compare it to other EL84 amps that you've tried it will really help me out.

Thanks.

Some say the 5:25 sounds boxy due to the 10" speaker. Others say it's fine. The only opinion that matters is yours. I recommend you take your guitar to the nearest guitar store that carries one and try it out yourself. If you want the EL84 tone but are concerned about it being boxy there is a 12" version of the amp coming out which should take care of that issue.

If money and size are not key issues make sure to try out the Lone Star Special as well. I tried them both: I had no interest in the 5:25 in 1x10 combo config but love the LSS.

GeoBull said:
If money and size are not key issues make sure to try out the Lone Star Special as well. I tried them both: I had no interest in the 5:25 in 1x10 combo config but love the LSS.

Can you describe the difference between your LSS and LSC? I own a nice Lonestar Classic in a flame maple cab and I love big sounding 6L6 amps. I just can't see the LSS with EL84 tubes sounding as good.

Can you describe the difference between your LSS and LSC? I own a nice Lonestar Classic in a flame maple cab and I love big sounding 6L6 amps. I just can't see the LSS with EL84 tubes sounding as good.

Totally different animals. The EL84 amps have a certain tone that people seem to either love or hate. The LSS that I played was an awesome amp, but definitely different from my RK or the LSC that was right next to it. My RK does everything that the LSC does, but the LSS was giving me that chimey Vox tone that I absolutely loved. The tone was still thick, but the notes had a clarity and sparkle that the LSC didn't have. Don't get me wrong, the LSS wouldn't replace my RK in any way, but it did have a certain vibe and tone that the RK or the LSC just can't get.

The real question is whether you will like that tone. Unfortunately nobody can answer that for you. I *can* tell you that the magic of an EL84 amp resides in its power section. EL84 amp really need to be turned up before they give up the goods, but when they do...it is really a thing of beauty.

I have a 5:25 head with a framus 1x12 cab so that i dont get any "boxiness" at home and can use a 4x12" for gigs, personally its the best amp ive owned so far and the only ones i like more are a fender tweed deluxe reissue or a cornell plexi 7 :)

Latest posts

Back