Express 5:25 1x12 vs. 5:50 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abetaque

Reaction score
Hello all -

Is there any consensus as to which of these sounds better?

I bought a 5:50 1x12 at GC and am still within the 30 day return period. I'm trying to decide if I should consider exchanging it for the 5:25 1x12.

I bought the 5:50 without also trying out the 5:25 on the assumption that the 5:50 is the better amp, but I've seen a few posts now where some people actually like the 5:25 better. Is there a prevailing view on this?

Also - I need to keep the volume very low almost always because we have a baby in the house. Would the 5:25 be significantly better in terms of being able to control the volume, or is there not that much of a difference?

Thanks!

I'd say it depends on the sound you're after. The 5:50s crunch tones are thicker, the cleans more robust. The 5:25 has more AC/DC style crunch tones and brighter cleans.

Since a lot of the difference in tone comes from the 6L6 vs EL84 tubes, I wonder how a 5:50 with Yellow Jackets would compare to a 5:25?

Besides for different tubes the 5:50 has a 12" speaker and is a bigger box. This gives it a significantly fuller sound with better bottom end. Has a far less boxy tone than the 5:25 IMHO. Plus with 50w you've got a lot more clean headroom so the 5:50 is a much better amp for a gigging muso.

Both amps run at 5w so shouldn't be a diff for using at low volumes.

He's comparing a 5:25 1 x 12 with a 5:50 1 x 12.

I think you should try to find an opportunity to try a 5:25 1 x 12.

I tried them both recently side by side. I liked the 5:25 better, but I think I'm an EL34 tube guy. 5:50 sounded really good too, just had that bigger sounding / "can get lost in a mix" feeling to it. I'd try and find a 5:25 and bring your amp in and do a side / side.

I also liked the sound of the 5:25 1x12 better than the 5:50 1x12.

i was amazed how much better the 5:25 12" sounded than the 5:25 10". Almost sounded like completely different amps. Then I tried the 5:25 with the 10" speaker unplugged and into a Roadster 2x12 cab and again, a totally different sound. I liked the 5:25 12" combo sound the best.

Thanks all for your input. I just spent an hour a GC comparing the two. There is a BIG difference in the sound between the 5:25 1x12 and the 5:50 1x12. I prefer the 5:50, but anyone deciding between the two should make sure to try them both. The 5:25 sounded great also, and I could see why someone would go with it instead. Just personal preference.

Also - There was not a big difference in the ability to play at low volumes... they're both pretty loud.

abetaque said:
Thanks all for your input. I just spent an hour a GC comparing the two. There is a BIG difference in the sound between the 5:25 1x12 and the 5:50 1x12. I prefer the 5:50, but anyone deciding between the two should make sure to try them both. The 5:25 sounded great also, and I could see why someone would go with it instead. Just personal preference.

Also - There was not a big difference in the ability to play at low volumes... they're both pretty loud.

+1 I prefer the 5:50 by a mile. I have tried unsuccessfully to like the sound of EL84s (except for the Bogner Metropolis - awesome amp)...though I love EL34s :shock:

I will not argue here if 12" is less boxy than 10" but just gives my own rules using the 5:25 10".
-I get boxy only when I'm not using the right level out for a specific setting, or even bad eq. Very sensitive the settings on that amp.
Most of the time only few more db or a small change from the gain and/or eq and it's gone.
-the 10" need to stay on the floor
-here it sound wide and full and I think that having it at 6 inch from the back wall (concrete + a sheet of 2' x 3' of sonopan), that help a lot to get the best of it.

I already tried an older cab having a 12" Celestion vintage 60 (or 70)?, maybe China crap but the 10' killed it right away. I also tried the 5:25 12" into the store and was not convinced at all. Well it was over a cab and I found it...boxy!? :lol:
If I rather think to get a 12" cab in a near future, it is mainly to have a different sonic palette but definitely not because the 10" boxy; well not here in my studio.
Never tried it on a stage though...

Being a 5:25 1x10 owner I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
I bought the amp as a grab-n-go for jams and rehearsals. I like the size of the cab, but I felt the 10" speaker was not the best match. I have replaced the Eminence OEM speaker with a Celestion V10 (the 10" version of the Vintage 30). A definite improvement.
I also run into either a 1x12 Boogie closed-back Recto cab (with a Celestion G12M in it) or a custom made Swanson 15" cab (closed-back) with an Eminence 15 in it. The 12" 5:25 might sound great, I haven't heard it yet.

robberns said:
I have replaced the Eminence OEM speaker with a Celestion V10 (the 10" version of the Vintage 30). A definite improvement.

That is very interesting! Is it possible to know a bit more around the improvement and what is your fav type of sound (clean mostly, blues or crunch/burn side)?
Thanks,

From my ears, I hear a bit less harshness in the Celestion than the E50 that came in the amp. A smoothness in the clean/slight overdrive sounds. I use the clean channel for very clean sounds and have an OD pedal for a bit of crunch. That being said, with the Burn channel on and the gain set around 10:00, this little sucker gets crunchy with humbuckers. I wouldn't want to play in a band situation with just the 10. That is why I have been using the 10" + 15" combination, which give the low-end ommph missing from the 10 alone.

robberns said:
From my ears, I hear a bit less harshness in the Celestion than the E50 that came in the amp. A smoothness in the clean/slight overdrive sounds. I use the clean channel for very clean sounds and have an OD pedal for a bit of crunch. That being said, with the Burn channel on and the gain set around 10:00, this little sucker gets crunchy with humbuckers. I wouldn't want to play in a band situation with just the 10. That is why I have been using the 10" + 15" combination, which give the low-end ommph missing from the 10 alone.

thanks for the infos!

Latest posts

Back