EVM 12L question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody777

Reaction score
One more post and then I'll go to bed...

Is there any tone difference between different versions of the EVM 12L? I see some with a silver back with the model info stamped on, some with a black label, some that are series II and now a "Zakk Wylde" reissue.

I've only played the silver ones (which I assume is the oldest???). Do they all sound the same... or at least close enough that it doesn't matter?

I didn't hear any appreciable difference between an older EVM-12L and a series II. The older style had the large heatsink on the back of it and the series II had a much smaller one if you could call it one. I personally haven't heard the "Black Labels" (ZW) nor the Classic. Mesa had some that had their label on them. It is said though that the new Classic sounds much like the series II but not broken in yet. This would make sense if EV used the same specs. In time that Classic would then be expected to sound like a series II once it broke in. The ones you see with a plain back and a mere ink stamp are what they call OEM. Those are provided to manufacturers by EV without all the marketing crapola on them like stickers, etc. I can't imagine overheating an EVM being that the OEM's never came with heatsinks. For this I think that the heatsink equipped versions are merely overweight and overkill with regards to the design. They are heavy enough without the heatsink. The heatsink added weight believe me. That sucker was unnecessarily heavy. I probably shouldn't have sold it because I could have used it and just removed the heatsink but I was clearing clutter (I know EVM's aren't clutter) and for some reason sold it off. Now I could use another one to re-load my Thiele. Maybe I will get a Classic for the heck of it. An old one will be cheaper though.

Thanks for the great replies guys! That is some excellent information!

The "Classic" uses the same voice coil as the original speakers, but the cone is slightly different. I just had one of each rebuilt (the Classic was under warranty) and the guy at the repairshop mentioned this.

From what I can tell, they sound identical. The original 12Ls I've played through just sound like a broken-in Classic.

I believe the classic is slightly lighter than the originals because of the frame.

i will let you guys know how the zak blacklabel models stack up if they ever get here. my guess is they sound almost identical to the others, with maby a pinch more low mids.

Latest posts

Back