Ever suspect your home's electricity?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganboySB

Reaction score
How can I rule out my home's electricity as being some sort of problem with tone? And could there be such a condition where your equipment plays but lacks in its true potential/quality out of lack of voltage or something?
Ken

Low voltage or power drops can make your amp sound weeker, it can also ruin your amp quicker than too high of voltage or power spikes.

You could always get a voltage meter and check the voltage in the outlets? You could also get something like a battery back-up computer power supply/surge protector. I play a few clubs that don't have the best power and usually the stage power goes out a couple times a night, and also some outdoors gigs that use generators and those things are hard on tube amps........ I always use my battery backup power supply, when the voltage drops below 110-115volts the battery kicks to power my amp.

I think the Furman power conditioner may be better to use with music equipment, but they cost a bit more and I've had good luck with my BestBuy $39 UPC power supply.

MichiganboySB said:
1). How can I rule out my home's electricity as being some sort of problem with tone?
2).And could there be such a condition where your equipment plays but lacks in its true potential/quality out of lack of voltage or something? Ken
1). I also live in Michigan and since my house was built in the early 50's I was fairly certain the power was less then perfect. I didn't realize how bad it was until I took steps to improve it.
2). Absolutely. I bought the Furman Power Factor Pro for my main rig and the tone instantly improved. All kinds of line noises (saws, motors, radio stations, etc.) were eliminated immediately and the amp really came to life. Additionally because of the LED voltage readout on the front of the PF Pro I became VERY aware of how unstable the voltage was. It varied between 95V-126V and that can be bad for digital eguipment. So I added a Furman AR-1215 voltage regulator, so now my rig gets a steady 117V and plenty of clean current and the sound is noticeably better then before.

I had purchased this SPB-8 furman pedalboard thinking that it would solve any voltage irregularities but didnt. Oh and I also took a suggestion from Guitar center to use one of those Monster multi-outlet strips... know the ones I'm talking about? Anyway these items didn't solve the condition at all, hope this Furman Power Factor Pro works. I keep saying this to myself, "Self why don't you pack up your gear and hook it up somewhere else to see if it sounds better?" But thankyou guys,
Ken

tele_jas said:
Low voltage or power drops can make your amp sound weeker, it can also ruin your amp quicker than too high of voltage or power spikes.

Given this bit of information about the "Browning" of power from the wall. it would lead me to think that using the Spongy setting on the Variac Switch in the back would be bad for your amp. Also in the Mesa manual it explains that using the Spongy setting (changing input voltage from 110 to 90 volts) can actually preserve your amp and extend tube life. I notice a definate reduction in punch from the amp when I flip the switch to spongy and things seem to break up more and quicker, but Im not sure that it will hurt things. I could however see higher voltage damaging the circuit boards and tubes. Please expound on this statement if there is something Ive missed--Thanks! :D

Hi all,
I have tested the Furman Powerfactor, a M@nster unit, an ART unit, a basic M@nster power bar and a cheap Noma Power Bar and the Furman seem to give the best results in knocking line noise down and providing good preformance with the amp. My lonestar and Mark I RI both seem to have a more solid tone.

Steve

To my knowledge, there still ceases to exist, a power conditioner and voltage regulator in one unit! :x

off topic a little, but in response to Micah's post, i recently found a great incubus tone by using the spongy and diodes together. settings were all a notch right of center, more or less. spongy and rect tubes is too much squash for me.

jbird said:
To my knowledge, there still ceases to exist, a power conditioner and voltage regulator in one unit! :x
The Furman AR1215 is a power conditioner and voltage regulator. The power conditioning in the regular PL8 (and variants) is basically a line noise filter. The AR1215 has that same filter in addition to the voltage regulating circuitry (which involves a huge toroidal transformer).

The AR1215 will give you consistent voltage, however, it will not regulate the current. For your rigs peak current demands, the AR1215 will not be able to provide any more than what the mains outlet provides. In which case, you could do as t0aj15 did and use the AR1215 in conjunction with a Power Factor Pro.

(hey t0aj15, 'sup meng?)

Elpelotero said:
off topic a little, but in response to Micah's post, i recently found a great incubus tone by using the spongy and diodes together. settings were all a notch right of center, more or less. spongy and rect tubes is too much squash for me.

I could see that--The Diodes would definatly make up for allot of the lack of punch--nice post! Were you using a holowbody guitar like Mike Einzenger with his PRS hollow body? :wink:

Hi all,

I was checking out musicians friend to get an idea of prices on the AR1215 and power factor pro when i ran across the AR15 II. It looks like this device does what both the AR1215 and PFP do. Could I get a confirm from my forum community? :wink: Thanks bro's!!!

Fernando said:
Hi all,

I was checking out musicians friend to get an idea of prices on the AR1215 and power factor pro when i ran across the AR15 II. It looks like this device does what both the AR1215 and PFP do. Could I get a confirm from my forum community? :wink: Thanks bro's!!!
The AR-15 II is a voltage regulator and does not serve the same function as the PF PRO.

I had just ordered a Furman Power Factor Pro, before seeing this thread. The reasoning was mainly to protect my amp. I have been using a power strip to provide spike protection.

I'm sure that everyone has seen ugly to scary power outlets at venues. Our practice area seems to be fairly good in that respect, but it seemed like this would be a good investment. I do hope that it reduces transmission noise and provides a more even flow of current. If it improves the amp's performance in any way, then that would be a bonus. I'm really not expecting much, though.

Has anyone actually experienced any noticeable improvement in your amp's performance when using one of these? If so, what where the audible differences? Does this only apply when you're cranking your amp?

I've never used one of these before, so I'm thinking that a power conditioner is more for protection from what you can't see vs. actual tone improvement that you'll hear. If you can hear a difference, please tell what you've actually experienced.

Hi Brewski,
I have the PFP I purchased it after trying it out against the other ones I mention above.
I have a Cell relay tower 2 buildings,less than 300m away and in an older building with crap wiring. In terms of noice, especially at higher gain on the Mark 1 and Lonestar, I did notice a lower background noise level.
The rig took on a different feel, Bolder and stronger is the only way i can put it. This is what I heard/felt.
s.

Thanks drunkdolphin. I guess that would makes sense, considering that the power is coming across in a very even way.

I'll get my PFP sometime next week, so I was just curious as what to look/listen for.

I bought a Furman PF Pro right after I bought my Mark IV. I live in a townhouse and the power seems "funky" to me. I feel better having my stuff plugged into it - especially an expensive tube amp.

IMG_0773.jpg

Latest posts

Back