EQ pedals and Mesa amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sricabla

Reaction score
I have a Recto combo and as much as the wide range of tones you can dial in,I still have not zeroed in on the tone that I like.
Some Mesa's have a graphic EQ which I'm sure helps out and most do not. I'm thinking of getting one but want to check and see who's using what? Is it better to put it in front of the amp or in the effects loop? Reading the posts here I see that the effects loops of Mesa's are a hit and miss proposition.Some people have no problems with their effects loops and some people do. If any of you guys have any feedback on this topic,I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance!

MXR 10 band Eq in the fx loop of my 3 channel DR has made all the difference for me. I was ready to scrap the amp and buy a Mark IV or a Stiletto until I got the MXR 10 band eq. Tightens up the sound and really just expands the sound altogether.

get a good EQ in the loop. You'll wonder how you ever played without one.

here's a great thread to read. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19660bs.marketwatch.com/

From what I've heard, the Boss units are very noisy unless you mod them for better parts.

Elpelotero said:
here's a great thread to read. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19660bs.marketwatch.com/

From what I've heard, the Boss units are very noisy unless you mod them for better parts.

wow i didnt realize my thread from a few months ago had that many responses.....

sricabla.... since that post i bought a maxon ge-601.... its a reissue but what really sold me on it was the true bypass.... i tried a bunch of different eqs and this one to me was the most transparent...also i had an issue with it about 3 weeks after getting it... i called godlyke they gave me an RA number so i sent it in... within a week they just sent me a brand new one for my troubles... good customer service and great products.... and most importantly it sounds unbelievable in the loop of my roadster.... i cant live without an eq in the loop anymore... dead honest its the one thing missing from the recto line.... they should have learned from the mark line the power of that post eq because it works wonders on dialing in exactly what you want

stompboxfreak72 said:
MXR 10 band Eq in the fx loop of my 3 channel DR has made all the difference for me. I was ready to scrap the amp and buy a Mark IV or a Stiletto until I got the MXR 10 band eq. Tightens up the sound and really just expands the sound altogether.

get a good EQ in the loop. You'll wonder how you ever played without one.

I totally agree.... :)
MXR are better (imo) than Boss's eq.

I just got an GE-7 and it really shapes the sound nicely with my f-50. The knobs on the amp can't come close to the different combinations of a good eq. I run mine in the loop.

I chose the the GE-7 over the MXR for a couple of reasons.

- with some cheap mods its very quiet (mine is modded)
- the boss is 9 volts verses 18 volts for the MXR 10 band
- I think the frequency bands of the GE-7 are more usable
- I like the boss footswitch better
- it fits better on my pedal board

when I run my MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my Rectoverb head
where should the mix level be? at the full 90%?

With an EQ in the loop, the FX Mix has to be all the way up. While that works ok for EQ, I never had much luck running my delay/reverb like that (much better results with the pedals 100% wet and the FX Mix turned down). True, an EQ in the loop gives you almost unlimited options for tone-shaping, but it's not bad in front of the amp either.

My Lonestar and Egnater have series loops, would it be best to put the EQ before my GT-8 or after it in the loop.
art

NoGlassNoClass said:
With an EQ in the loop, the FX Mix has to be all the way up. While that works ok for EQ, I never had much luck running my delay/reverb like that (much better results with the pedals 100% wet and the FX Mix turned down). True, an EQ in the loop gives you almost unlimited options for tone-shaping, but it's not bad in front of the amp either.

thanks!
I had a feeling that was the way to do it.

Artmusic said:
My Lonestar and Egnater have series loops, would it be best to put the EQ before my GT-8 or after it in the loop.
art

Depends what you are using the GT-8 for...IMO the EQ should go before delays/reverbs, but after chorus/flange type FX. Let your ears decide.

Well, I read the entire thread that was started by jdurso and took Chris McKinley's advice about cutting the 200 hz level just a notch or two with unbelievable results on my Lonestar. I had an old GE-7 laying around and gave it a try in the loop. Mud totally gone. Made a great sounding amp even better! The EQ will be in the loop from now on. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks!

now channel 2 on your lonestar sounds much better huh?
I love mine now that I have put the eq in the loop........ROCK N ROLL!!!

It's actually both channels. For some reason, maybe my speakers, amp eq, etc, my e,a and d were always a little muddy. Now by cutting the 200 hz just a little on my GE-7 they sound great, very defined.

yeah, very subtle cuts in the mid area is all that are needed. I just couldnt get a good distortion sound, there was this inherant mid tone that was killing me. got the eq and just a very subtle cut did the trick, took the whool blanket off of the speakers, so to speak. that settin works fine on channel one too so I just tuck the eq inside the cabinet, its my secret weapon!

I was just amazed at the difference just a notch on the GE-7 made. Here I had been fine tuning the amp, guitar etc for hours and as it turns out all I had to to do was put the GE-7 in the loop! That thread thats linked above in this thread is a must read. Chris McKinley goes into some detail as to why the eq works so well.

Adding the MXR 10 band EQ to the loop and modding my Loop to series made all the difference in the world. It took more than a blanket of my speakers, it took a full bedding set off! This thing ROARS now. Plus with the 10 band in the loop, I can get a lot of different tones from it. I can get the Marshall tone, the Mesa tone and many others. It's absolutely amazing!

Back