Eq pedal, where would/do you put it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
Hello, i've been using a 7 band graphic Eq in front of my amp to clean up the mids and sculpt my tone just a little bit more. It's currently between my guitar and my amp, but today i was messing with the fx loop, and had it run through so that i could turn it on and off with the footswitch, or just leave on channel three all the time, because that's where i mainly use it. Anyway, i was just wondering where you put yours, because there are noticable changes in the tone, in each configuration, and I just wondered what is the most effective and useful to you, without sucking tone too bad. Thanks guys,

-AJH

I've been using mine in the FX loop with my Delay pedal, seems to work for me the best there.

If you stick it before the amp you eq the guitar. If you stick it in the loop you eq the preamp before it hits the power amp. It's all personal pref. I used mine in the loop and got good results.

Jon

I am getting a DOD 830 Series 2 Dual Channel 15 band EQ, and I wan to know where the best place to put it is. I will probably get a 7 band EQ for the fx chain and have that before the distortion boxs. My loop corrently has a DOD compressor and a Ibanez AD202 delay. I'm guessing that the compressor should be first, folowed by the delay and then the EQ.

I have a Simul-Satellite combo. If the EQ is in the FX loop will that put it after the "tone" knob and before the 5 Band eq? Or does it put it before the initial "tone" knob?

You put the EQ after the problem.

In most cases it is best to use an EQ to sculpt and take away unwanted sound.

If you put it after your guitar you 'correct' the guitar tone to the amp.
If you put it in the FX loop you 'correct' the preamp tone to the poweramp.

IMO, it is best placed after the guitar for a few reasons:
- the guitar has a limited amount of tone controls, ya one.
- the preamp can shape a tone fairly well if you understand the tone stack
- the change is much more too drastic in the fx loop.

WEll the Simul-Satellite I own has virtually no preamp, and I beleive the that sole preamp EQ is one know that is labeled 'Tone'. If I am correct, then the 5 Band EQ on the amp post EQ. Doesn't that make it a good idea to us the 15 band in the FX loop? the other option makes things ver complex. I plan to run the 2nd channel of the EQ to my ampeg b2.

strumminsix,
you made a good point ... most people boost EQ bands to correct their sound. but i've found that i have more success when i cut the frequencies that are present that I don't want . that way you will keep your signal cleaner and it won't overload from too much gain (from boosting the EQ). if you just boost, then the bad sound will still be there , it will just be quieter

dmt said:
WEll the Simul-Satellite I own has virtually no preamp, and I beleive the that sole preamp EQ is one know that is labeled 'Tone'. If I am correct, then the 5 Band EQ on the amp post EQ. Doesn't that make it a good idea to us the 15 band in the FX loop? the other option makes things ver complex. I plan to run the 2nd channel of the EQ to my ampeg b2.

On the Simul or any other MK series, the Graphic drops in one side of the PI and from there it sends the signal to the power amp. Even if you run an effect through the loop it is post tone stack(Fender Style), but pre graphic. In any serial Recto design the signal is pre tone stack. Any paralell design is post tone stack and feeds a level signal to the power amp.

Putting a graphic or parametric in front of a MK series amp makes a mess. A GE-7 through the series loops is excellent. If you have a certain frequency you want to get rid of, I would not use an EQ in front of the input. Unless you have a very high quality buffered input and true bypass there is usually a ton of circuitry for your signal to go through, especially a digital EQ. The ADA conversion has always driven me nuts. At any rate, I usually have good results using the serial or paralell lops for effects. My current setup uses only a NS-2 to a TC Electronics Stereo Chorus out in stereo to a DR in modern and a MK III in lead mode. IMO, these two pedals have the least effect on the signal compared to going straight in. The TC has a buffered preamp circuit and IMO actually sends a clean and strong signal. The SCF adds and unreal nano second of spacial delay. No loops involved and very little input signal degredation. Other than his setup, 90% of the time I use a guitar, cable and amp setup. I try to keep it as pure as possible and only rarely us anything in the loop. Only for a certain ungodly overdrive will I use the GE-7 through the loop of a IIC+ or take some flubbines from a DR.

Latest posts

Back