Entered the Mark IV club

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony777

Reaction score
So I finally joined the mark IV club, not that I wasn't happy with my C+'s, but just out of curiosity.
The Mark IV sounds awesome, and I'm very happy with it, after a two hours play. Sounds close to the C+, but not exactly the same.
It's dated 8/92 and serial# IV5282 makes it the A version.

marktopper.jpg

That's a nice little collection you got going on there!

A warm welcome to many happy years of tweakery and fiddling.

I just received my first Mark IV a few days ago and am pleased as well. I have never had the chance to play (or touch) a C+, does your Mark IV sound considerably tighter than the C+? Would you consider that the major difference between the two?

MarkofXlnts said:
I just received my first Mark IV a few days ago and am pleased as well. I have never had the chance to play (or touch) a C+, does your Mark IV sound considerably tighter than the C+? Would you consider that the major difference between the two?

I don't think the IV is much tighter than a C+, but you'll have to be more careful with the bass settings on the C+ to avoid flubbiness.
The IV is a bit more growlier, and has more drive available, and a little less headroom, which is a good thing when you play metal.
The versatility of the IV is way over the C+.
But there is something to the sound of a C+ that is impossible to explain, call it mojo if you like :lol:

I also have a triaxis/fifty/fifty, which I always tweak and tweak to get the sound I'm looking for, but with the IV, I got a great sound in seconds.

Yesterday I was comparing both IV and C+ with my Ibanez guitars with different pickups, all dimarzios though. And to me the evolution sounds great in C+, but were too growly with the IV, the steve's special was perfect with the IV. The petrucci custom, (the first run of his music man pickups) was brilliant at both, I absolutely love that pickup.
I also have the D-sonic in a baritone OLP guitar, 29", which sounds great at both amps, though I'm not a fan of D-sonic in a 25,5" guitar.

So will I choose one over another, I don't think so, I will enjoy both :D

tony777 said:
I also have a triaxis/fifty/fifty, which I always tweak and tweak to get the sound I'm looking for, but with the IV, I got a great sound in seconds.

That's the same experience I had with my Mk4. Having played with the Triaxis and the Quad Pre, the Mk4 was piece of cake in comparison.

The mark IV has a million good sounds easily, but the great ones will need as much discovering as with any other Boogie, IME.

Back