Eminence in DC-3???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody using an Eminence speaker in their DC-3?
My combo has a Black Shadow, but I'm looking for something warmer with less high end fizz.

I'm leaning toward:
Cannabis Rex
Swamp Thang
Wizard
Red Fang

I play most anything I can figure out from warm Fender inspired cleans to all out raging distorted stuff. I need a versatile speaker.
Looking for more (but not flubby) bass, a little less mids, and warm smooth highs that can still sparkle for cleans and funky stuff.

Speakers I've tried in this amp:
Mesa C-90 Black Shadow - great cleans, a little stiff though. Don't like the fizz on heavy distortion. The amp is already mid heavy, so a mid heavy speaker just adds a touch too much

Vintage 30 - a little too honky sounding for me.

Celestion Heritage 30 - older, original H-30, not the newer version - warm cleans, still too much in the mids dept., woody overdrive tones, a little too vintage for me.

I like the idea of Eminence. Good quality, cheap, and made in America.
I used to be a Weber dealer, but they rarely answer the phone anymore.
I'm pretty burned out on Celestion, and I hate buying anything that is outsourced. If I buy a Chinese speaker, I want a Chinese name on it, not a corporate name that sold out.......

Mine came with a V30 in it which I agree is kinda honky. I tried a Private Jack in it and like it a lot. It had more of an older Marshall vibe.

I liked the PJ's cleans, I think the amp sounds a little better clean by itself with the PJ over the V30. Either way, I prefer to include a Theile cab with an EMV12L.

Regarding the dirty sound, the amp sounds a little too strident with the V30. The PJ seems to set it a little further back in the mix. Easier to play rhythm with.

I have the PJ in my Studio .22+ at now and I prefer it over the Mesa labeled Eminence speaker that the amp came with (by a very small margin).

Thanks Don,
That's why I was wondering about the C-Rex or Swamp Thang so that I would have more bass with just the combo.
This is the amp that I lug around when I go to someone else's house to jam. Usually it's a quiet jam that makes me wish I had brought an overdrive pedal because I can't turn up loud enough to unleash the beast inside the amp.......

Hi Andy. I run an Eminence MS-12 (150 watts) Mesa used to put in the "stock" Mark amps in a 1/2 back 1x12 cab on top of a EVM-loaded Thiele. I find the MS-12 a well-balanced speaker that compliments the DC-3 very well. Bright but not harsh; balanced non-peaky mids, and warm, clean bass notes.

Thanks! I've seen the MS-12, but never played through one.

I heard back from Anthony Lucas at Eminence. He recommends the Cannabis Rex.
Looks like I'll be ordering a C-Rex to try out!

Hi Andy,
It’s funny, I was thinking Cannabis Rex halfway through your email and then see that you have thought about it too. It’s a great speaker to tame/mellow out harsh highs and fizz. It’s a very warm, smooth, full sounding speaker with a solid low end.

It’s tough to compare the sensitivity ratings between manufacturers, because there is no industry standard method of publishing it. We all do it a bit differently. It’s a good rating to compare a Celestion to a Celestion or and Eminence to an Eminence, but can be a bit convoluted trying to compare an Eminence to a Celestion. I know the C90 well, and while I don’t recall compare it directly to Cannabis Rex, I believe it is a louder speaker. For one, it has a larger magnet, and secondly, it has a lot more highs, which always sounds louder than a more bass heavy speaker. Our ears are more sensitive to highs than lows.

Best Regards,

Anthony Lucas
Technical Support
Eminence Speaker, LLC

I'm gonna get one soon!
We're moving into our new house over the next two weeks though, so it will be next month.
After 20 years here, I can finally afford a house in Hawaii...........

I just picked up a DC-3 with an Eminence Legend in it.
I've enjoyed it more than my previous DC3 with a V30.

The Legend is great for cleans and holds together very well with high gain. No fizz, but it is a little more "wooly" and mid-forward. I think I see what Soldano likes about this speaker for gain tones.

I actually had expected to swap the Legend out right away, but for now, I'm going to keep it in there.

Latest posts

Back