emg 89

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberpwnage

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been done to death but I am considering getting a 81tw and 89. Ive had a guitar that has an 81-85 combo and really like it. Besides the coil tap in the 89, is there any difference in tone between the 89 and the 85?

i stuck an 89 in a les paul of mine...and coil tapped i thought the 89 sounded like poop. didn't sound like a single coil at all. just like a lower output emg 85.

I have an 89. I tried it in bridge and neck positions of my ESP, even had them upside down and right side up. I prefer it in the neck position. Although I'm not a big fan of EMG's, I like the 89 because of its ability to coil tap. I think it sounds great, clean or heavy. I had a 85 before and I really couldn't tell the difference between the two, until you pull the volume knob. The 89 can get spanky on the clean or nice and warm with a roll of the tone knob. EMG makes a 81 that has a coil tap also.

Thanks for the replies :D Im going to guitar center tomorrow to get an 81tw in the bridge and the 89 in the neck of my jacskon sl2h.

I tried the schecter c-1 hellraiser with the emg coil taps through a roadster in the guitar center and the cleans were incredible. Im just curious to how they sound in a halfway decent guitar :lol: One last question. Do I have to do any special wiring or routing? Cant I just switch them out via quick connecters?

Dan

You won't be able to switch them out with the quick connectors. The 81tw and 89 both have push/pull volume pots that allows the coil-tapping capability. So, you'll have to replace your volume knobs, or have someone install mini-toggle switches so that you can do both full humbucker and single coil modes. The wires are very small, so if you're not very good with a soldering gun, i would recommend having a guitar tech install them for you.

-AJH

I got em today. Im gonna have a professional do it cause I dont know one end of a soldering gun from the other. Id probably end up with 3rd degree burns. Ill keep u updated on how it turns out

Latest posts

Back