Electra Dyne vs Stiletto Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedG

Reaction score
I currently play a Stiletto Ace head through Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12 cabs.
I'm playing nasty/bluesy rock and roll stuff and really like the sound I have now.

The Electradyne really caught my eye, or ear. The Mesa dealer in Austin isn't getting any in until next week.
How do the clean and dirty channels of the Stiletto and Electradyne compare sonically?
Do the Stiletto and Electra sound significantly different?

Thanks

WickedG

WickedG said:
I currently play a Stiletto Ace head through Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12 cabs.
I'm playing nasty/bluesy rock and roll stuff and really like the sound I have now.

The Electradyne really caught my eye, or ear. The Mesa dealer in Austin isn't getting any in until next week.
How do the clean and dirty channels of the Stiletto and Electradyne compare sonically?
Do the Stiletto and Electra sound significantly different?

Thanks

WickedG

I played them side by side at guitar center a couple weeks ago.

First, I do like the Stiletto and was seriously thinking of picking one up. For the crunch and clean channel alone it is worth the money!

However, for me I have to give the nod to the Electradyne.

If AC/DC is your thing, it's the Stiletto, hands down.

But the electradyne is tighter, thicker, much more low end, has killer reverb.

I was really shocked at how good the electradyne sounded without any effort dialing it in.

I'm telling you the demo on the boogie sight doesn't do it justice!

primal said:
WickedG said:
I played them side by side at guitar center a couple weeks ago.

First, I do like the Stiletto and was seriously thinking of picking one up. For the crunch and clean channel alone it is worth the money!

However, for me I have to give the nod to the Electradyne.

I 2nd this.....the Electra has been a big surprise...I wasn't expecting what I heard out of this amp. Great clean, and all of the modes are great no matter where you set the controls.

Mesa has a winner here.

JAZZGEAR said:
Great clean, and all of the modes are great no matter where you set the controls.

Mesa has a winner here.

I find that hard to believe. I've never met an amp that sounds good with any setting. probly means the EQ stack doesn't work.??

rabies said:
JAZZGEAR said:
Great clean, and all of the modes are great no matter where you set the controls.

Mesa has a winner here.

I find that hard to believe. I've never met an amp that sounds good with any setting. probly means the EQ stack doesn't work.??

OK, reasonable settings...I mean if you max the treble, mid and bass and the gain you're bound to get something undesirable no matter the amp.

The EQ stack does work...cause the tone does change depending on the setting...but the tones are all usable and sound good.

This is the first Mesa amp where you can start with all the controls at noon and sound good....

Thanks.

I'm pumped to check out the electradyne.
Are the sounds similar enought that I'd want to trade in my Ace?
Or just keep them both?

JAZZGEAR said:
This is the first Mesa amp where you can start with all the controls at noon and sound good....

My Stiletto Ace was pretty close to having a decent sound with all the knobs at noon, though I've gotta admit that's pretty rare for anything with the Mesa name on the faceplate.

--B

They do sound different. I've played both, but I still reckon you should really try the Elctradyne for yourself, best not to base it solely on reviews...

WickedG said:
Thanks.

I'm pumped to check out the electradyne.
Are the sounds similar enought that I'd want to trade in my Ace?
Or just keep them both?

I think you can keep both...as they do sound different. Lots more gain in the Stiletto....

I sold my Ace and picked up an Electra Dyne. Although I like the clean tone better on ED (w/reverb), I was unable to get a little hair around my clean which I like without going to the lower watt setting and cranking the ED gain. It sounded great when I got there though. On Stiletto, I could put the gain at 1-3:00 on fat clean and get it just the way I like (clean with a light pick, touch of peach fuzz if I play harder). So I loved the ED gain when I set it like I just mentioned, but then the knobs didn't work for my preferred ED dirty sound which was better on the higher watt setting with less gain dialed in.

On an individual basis I did like ED's clean & dirty better, but in a functional live setting situation Stiletto was easier to work with.

Totally different sounding amps. Don't expect one to do what the other can do. Would be great to own both if you don't mind setting up something so complex in a live situation.

jab said:
I sold my Ace and picked up an Electra Dyne. Although I like the clean tone better on ED (w/reverb), I was unable to get a little hair around my clean which I like without going to the lower watt setting and cranking the ED gain. It sounded great when I got there though. On Stiletto, I could put the gain at 1-3:00 on fat clean and get it just the way I like (clean with a light pick, touch of peach fuzz if I play harder). So I loved the ED gain when I set it like I just mentioned, but then the knobs didn't work for my preferred ED dirty sound which was better on the higher watt setting with less gain dialed in.

On an individual basis I did like ED's clean & dirty better, but in a functional live setting situation Stiletto was easier to work with.

Totally different sounding amps. Don't expect one to do what the other can do. Would be great to own both if you don't mind setting up something so complex in a live situation.

Have you messed with the gain trim switch in the back?

If you wan't a little breakup in your clean I figured you could set the gain trim toggle to the middle position (off) and it would get you right where you need to be.

When I set it up I was going for chimey cleans and JCM 800 overdrive with a touch more gain. That was no problem setting up.

But I never did try setting it up as you have mentioned.

Back