EL34's.....Winged "C's" or JJ's...need advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EL34's.....Winged "C's" or JJ's

• Winged "C"

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • JJ

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingdomheights777

Reaction score
I know the topic of 6L6 or EL34 has been beaten like a dead horse, but I searched and no one gave an honest opinon on wether to go with Winged "C" or JJ's when thinking of EL34's.
The price is a huge difference, but is the sound noticeable enough to justify the price difference..... please advise and vote thanks :)

Just my two cents. I've used Ruby's EL34 (which are the Shuguang EL34-B) for the last 4 months. No issues, excellent sound. Tame the highs, nice overall tube. I did not know what to expect so I did'nt want to invest much. Got those for 58$ for a matched quad. I had used them in a THD amp for years. They last forever. Have a look at this review

http://thetubestore.com/el34review.html

the Tungsol El-34-B look even better according to them !?

I wonder if there may be some hype behind the SED winged ...

Oh well just a tought...

I tried the JJ '34's....thought they sounded very good...better, IMO that stock mesa tubes.
However they did not last long.
I tried the wing C and never looked back. They have better definition to the sound....overall clarity is better, IMO.
And they seem to hold up pretty well, too.

I may try the 34 B's one day....may be a less expensive alternative to the "C"'s! :D

I just got my Winged C's 10 minutes ago. I'll let you know later tonight what the difference is, as I will be replacing the JJs with them.

eudaimonia02912 said:
I just got my Winged C's 10 minutes ago. I'll let you know later tonight what the difference is, as I will be replacing the JJs with them.

Great! I look forward to hearing your take on the two. Thanks

winged C every time

Similar effect with the MKV and Stiletto Duece, and would not swap back for dynamics and response

Old BF Shred said:
I tried the JJ '34's....thought they sounded very good...better, IMO that stock mesa tubes.
However they did not last long.
I tried the wing C and never looked back. They have better definition to the sound....overall clarity is better, IMO.
And they seem to hold up pretty well, too.

I may try the 34 B's one day....may be a less expensive alternative to the "C"'s! :D

^^^^I Agree^^^^

kingdomheights777 said:
eudaimonia02912 said:

Great! I look forward to hearing your take on the two. Thanks

Okay, put a matched quad of SED Winged C EL34s in. They were rated as a bias point of 29 by the Tube Depot. (I requested they send tubes fit for a Mesas Mark V.)

I only got to play for about 10 minutes, and didn't get to crank the amp, but compared to the JJ EL34s, the SED EL34s seem to be fatter, fuller, but not as muddy. The top end is very smooth on both. The SEDs have more clarity. Unfortunately, they are also slightly noisier, it seems. I had to turn my noise gate back up to get it where I like it. (The SEDs still seem to be less noisy than the stock Mesa 6L6s, but the JJs were the quietest. Probably this was because the JJs were running way too cold.)

Latest posts

Back