ED with a tube screamer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
I have a pedal that "models" a tube screamer. Decided to throw it in front of the ED to see if this amp could suite the metalheads.

OMG.

Normally I keep the bass around 9:00 because this amp has tons of low end. I figured if I were going to go for the metal tone, go all out so I set it to 2:00. I put the tube screamer modeler in front set the drive to 3%.

Holy %#@. You wanna talk about wall of distortion tight as hell chugga chugga machine. My God. I'm not a big metal head, but I can't stop playing it. You already know how much low end it has. It is so freaking thick!

With a screamer, this amp will do any type of metal, and I think it will excell at it!

What makes it so awesome is the huge low end and how tight it is.

A boost alone can't do that. It has to already have the low end, and the fact that it is already tight made it even more insane.

Metalheads, do not dismiss this amp as rock only!

I have a Keeley Tube screamer I run in front of my ED as a boost pedal but you are right about using it for metal tones too. If I crank up the gain on the TS it can get quite brutal. Fun stuff!

I imagine the Keely TS sounds 100 times better then my digitech tube screamer model. But I didn't crank the gain at all, just kept the volume at 100% and just a touch of gain.

Keep in mind I don't typically use this settings. I like my mids 12:00 -1:00 and my bass 9:00

My settings were
Hi
Volume 3:00
Treble 3:00
Mid 9:00
Bass 2:00
Presence 1:00

Tube screamer drive 3%
Tone 70%
Volume 100%

I am using a Highway 1 strat with a Seymour Duncan JB humebucker in the bridge.

Total wall of distortion

I have a Maxon OD808 on the board- it slays...But I just threw down on a BB+....should be here soon...I imagine that with the BB boosting the Hi gain it will absolutely devastate....also picked a EB wah, and have a modfactor en route. World class board for a world class amp. "Pinch me"....its that good

primal said:
I have a pedal that "models" a tube screamer. Decided to throw it in front of the ED to see if this amp could suite the metalheads.

OMG.

Normally I keep the bass around 9:00 because this amp has tons of low end. I figured if I were going to go for the metal tone, go all out so I set it to 2:00. I put the tube screamer modeler in front set the drive to 3%.

Holy %#@. You wanna talk about wall of distortion tight as hell chugga chugga machine. My God. I'm not a big metal head, but I can't stop playing it. You already know how much low end it has. It is so freaking thick!

With a screamer, this amp will do any type of metal, and I think it will excell at it!

A boost alone can't do that. It has to already have the low end, and the fact that it is already tight made it even more insane.

POST SOME CLIPS PLZ!!

jetdriver said:
primal said:

OMG.

POST SOME CLIPS PLZ!!

Give me till this weekend. I got some late work nights this week.

Any requests? The simpler you keep it the quicker I can post it. Keep in mind I'm almost 40 and don't know much (read any) modern metal. But if it aint insanely difficult, i'll learn a riff or two of some modern stuff and record it so you can get an idea what it sounds like.

primal said:
jetdriver said:
primal said:

OMG.

POST SOME CLIPS PLZ!!

Give me till this weekend. I got some late work nights this week.

Any requests? The simpler you keep it the quicker I can post it. Keep in mind I'm almost 40 and don't know much (read any) modern metal. But if it aint insanely difficult, i'll learn a riff or two of some modern stuff and record it so you can get an idea what it sounds like.

LOL. Me too, I'm 37. Play whatever you like my friend. I'd just like to be able to A/B the difference between the boost, and without.

Maybe chunk out some riffs, lay down a few solo licks. I promise I'll be focusing on the sound of the amp, and not the playing. :lol:

jetdriver said:
LOL. Me too, I'm 37. Play whatever you like my friend. I'd just like to be able to A/B the difference between the boost, and without.

Maybe chunk out some riffs, lay down a few solo licks. I promise I'll be focusing on the sound of the amp, and not the playing. :lol:

I think I can come up with something. Give me a few days and I'll post some clips.

primal said:
jetdriver said:

I think I can come up with something. Give me a few days and I'll post some clips.

For mid-30s rockers like us some good ol' Sabbath, Maiden, Y&T, Kansas, Scorpions, Pearl Jam, AIC, Picture, Priest or the likes will be just fine :D

I'm pushing 40 as well so I'm not hip to the new metal scene but I know they tune down so you might want to try that

Anyone try the MXR boost pedal with the ED? (the custom Audio Electronics) Had one years ago with a GB black pearl and liked it. Just wondering how it meshes with the ED.

Latest posts

Back