Dual Recto-Funk!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Reaction score
I just thought I would share my recent experience, as I know some of you might be interested.

The Lone Star broke down a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't had time to take it to Petaluma. Being that I still have gigs to do, I had to consider using another one of my amps. I'm in a wedding band where we do primarily old-school funk tunes. (We also do some jazz standards, wedding standards, and a bit of rock mixed in.)

I have been so disappointed with my solid-state combo, ever since I bought the Lone Star. I didn't want to go back to that one. So I considered using the Recto (R-0627) with vintage mode on the red channel to do a few gigs. I paired that with my open Lone Star cab that I loaded with an EVM 12-L.

So I tried this amp at the gig, and WOW, what a great sounding two channel setup that made. The cleans were full and sparkling at the same time, and the lead channel was amazing. . . creamy, but with plenty of bite and gain. Both channels stood up amazingly in the mix with the 9-piece band.

I love the Lone Star, but I think the Recto may be the ideal amp for what I need. The cleans were pleasingn through the Recto, not un-like the Lone Star, both with 100 watts of 6L6 power tubes. And then the lead channel had all the drive that's called for with those crazy sounding Ernie Isley type of leads.

In summary, I would say that it's ironic that the Dual Recto is considered a niche 'metal' amp, when it may out-perform other amps notorious for the suitability of their voicing in the context of certain genres.

I have to agree with you. I love the vintage channel and roll off the volume on my Strat. I have a couple of seymour duncan mini-humbuckers. Another mod I did was put a quartet of Yellojackets with EL84s in the amp. It gives it a class a type feel. I did this thinking it would cut the volume but its still very loud.

You are using a 1x12 cab with your Dual, Ive wondered if a smaller cab might cut back some more volume, just having less paper.

Im currently running a 4x12 and using a power soak to cut it back some. I just ordered a Weber attenuator. Kind of dumb to buy a big ole amp and then spend a fortune trying to make it sound like a small amp. Should have bought a small amp to begin with.

JW123 said:
You are using a 1x12 cab with your Dual, Ive wondered if a smaller cab might cut back some more volume, just having less paper.

I'm sure it helps, but I don't know exactly how much! It was plenty loud enough to keep up with the stage mix. Also, the EVM is a 200-watt speaker. For the purpose of keeping the volume reasonable, you could use a lower wattage speaker, but not so low that the power handling would be an issue. I'm convinced that the EVM is a significant factor of this setup's mojo.

Back