Dual Recto Bass heavy!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevewozniak0418

Reaction score
Hey there. I know these things are boomy, especially with Recto cabs (2x12 and 4x12) but I have my Bass turned almost all the way off. It's on a bout 1.5-2 now (on a 1-10 scale). Using PRS McCarty's and a Mesa 2x12 recto and/or 4x12 recto. Are these Multi Watt rectos more heavy on the bass than previous models?

Steve :?:

Could be worn power tubes. When they start to die on a Recto they tend to loose a lot of top end... so you'll find yourself turning the bass way down and the treble/presence way up and still getting a dull, muddy sound. If you bought the amp used the guy may have sold it because he didn't like the sound of the amp anymore and didn't realize it was 'cause his tubes were shot (or he was an ******* and pulled the good tubes out before selling it) .

screamingdaisy said:
Could be worn power tubes. When they start to die on a Recto they tend to loose a lot of top end... so you'll find yourself turning the bass way down and the treble/presence way up and still getting a dull, muddy sound. If you bought the amp used the guy may have sold it because he didn't like the sound of the amp anymore and didn't realize it was 'cause his tubes were shot (or he was an ******* and pulled the good tubes out before selling it) .

Would this be true on channel 1 moreso than 2 and 3? I bought mine used and I have to dime the treble and presence on channel 1 to keep it from sounding dull, like the tone on my guitar is all the way off.

SonVolt said:
Would this be true on channel 1 moreso than 2 and 3? I bought mine used and I have to dime the treble and presence on channel 1 to keep it from sounding dull, like the tone on my guitar is all the way off.

It's been so long since I ran a set of tubes that dead that I can't remember the details. The two things that really stand out in my memory is the tone getting muddier and the amp loosing volume. I remember that at the end I had the master on my Dual Recto at 3:00 and couldn't figure out why the amp was so quiet.

Since then most of my power tubes have failed mechanically before they went dead tonally, so it's been awhile since I've experienced anything like it.

Back