Dual Rectifier Loud Hum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonZombie

Reaction score
Hey Guy's I am getting a loud hum out of my Rack Mount Dual Rectifier. It is only when I have a Guitar running. I have tried many guitars and cables and still the same annoying hum. Unplug the Guitar and the hum is gone. Do you think it could be a ground issue?
Plus I am getting a good amount of feedback with the Gain around 2:00. Bad ground? Bad preamp tubes?

Thanks,
Ron

I get that also...channel one runs really clean. But, channel two and three are really noisy. I have a good noise gate which cleans up about 90% of it and which I run all the time. However, the other day I happened to turn it off and didn't really care for what I heard. I've had it for about a year now and remember it being really noisy when I got it (used). But, it didn't really bother me because I had heard from a lot of people that that's just the way these amps are. Now after hearing this, I don't think I could deal with it without the noise gate. I think there might be a grounding issue with mine being that it gets even worse when I unplug the cable on the front. Wish I knew how to fix it.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but welcome to the Mesa Boogie club. You can read extensively about my issues with hum and my Roadster. I don't know about the plain Dual Rectifiers, but according to Mesa's tech, and much to the chagrin of my local tech, the noise is normal. Yes, that is right, they said it was normal. I made myself crazy buying new tubes for it, taking it to two different techs, etc. What's funny is that when I went to my local Mesa dealer who had a Roadster head and 212 combo, neither did what my amp does. They sound exactly how I remember my amp once sounding.

I don't know what is up with Mesa's amps, or my amp right now. I've searched the archives of this forum and found people with Roadsters who have had or are having similar issues. Coincidentally, Mesa boasts that they have a quiet effects loop on their Roadster, and better yet they are a series effects loop, yet somehow their tech has the audacity to make me feel like I'm crazy for:

a) using it
b) using it past 25%

According to him, you should never go past that point. Humorously, at 50% or 12 o' clock, the amp specifically states this to be the "normal" range. Normal? You mean noisy range, don't you?

I feel like I have helped further this notion that Mesa's are the end all be all of quality amplifiers. When I first got my amp I rushed to Harmony Central to make a review in order to help other buyers find the "tone" that I had found. Yet, throughout those reviews, I'd always come across these little solo reviews, stating that the effects loop is noisy, the amp is noisy, there is a static hum that wont go away, etc.

Love your amp for what it is, and don't let it drive you crazy. I, unfortunately, have lost my mind.

Wow. Thank god I never got a Roadster. I guess the more complicated it is, the more there is to go wrong. I use my 3 Channel Dual Recto every weekend at insane volume levels for hours and its mouse-quiet.

I am shocked to hear about the noise issues with the Roadster. Wonder if the Road King does the same thing?

This is a 2 Channel Dual Rectifier. The other Guitar player in my band has a 3 Channel and it's quiet.
It's weird if I touch the power or standby switch it get's quiet. I think it might be a ground issue.

Plus with the volume at about 11:30 and Gain at 2:30 I get crazy feedback.
I have only had it for about 2 months but the noise and feedback are new issues.

your amp should be dead quiet. Call Mesa or an authorized service center.

After reading your post I tried experimenting a bit. And yes, turning down my effects loop got rid of a ton of noise...also made my delay sound better but not my reverb (Electro Harmonics Holy Grail Nano). I think I'll move this to the front of my amp...it gives me a lot of howling through the loop. I don't think its compatable with the loop.

RonZombie said:
This is a 2 Channel Dual Rectifier. The other Guitar player in my band has a 3 Channel and it's quiet.
It's weird if I touch the power or standby switch it get's quiet. I think it might be a ground issue.

What kind of power are you running...that does sound like a ground problem. Are you running it through any kind of conditioner? Also, do you ever try it at different locations or is it in the same place. Florescent lights and places with weird electrical interference drive my amp nuts.

I am running through a Ferman power conditioner.
Whereever I plug it in Home, Gig's whereever I get it.
In the Freman in the wall. I think I am going to bring it to be looked at Friday.

Back