Dual Rec. mod project! transformer question!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbest182

Reaction score
So last month I picked up a busted dual rectifier, built in 2005, had a small burnt spot on the circuit board... it's at mesa right now and I'll have it back sometime the week after xmas... I only paid $100 bucks for the thing, plus tubes... and I figured since I was never a huge fan of the 3 channel rectos that I'd love to turn this into a project amp and see what I can do to it... I personally, don't know much about the electronics, and capacitors and all that jazz that a lot of people do... but I've talked to Dave Friedman at Rack Systems about modding it for me, and I think I'm going to go with him... but I see a lot of places (Voodoo, etc) change out the transformers in their mods.. I happen to have access to the schumaker power/output/choke transformers from a Mark III - all unused - choke is 550381 - output is 562100 - and power is 561100.. would there be any benefit to using these transformers (can i even use them?) versus say the mercury magnetics trannys that voodoo uses.. i know the pre-500 rectos used the 562100 output (i believe) - but will using those trannys make that much of a difference? I think this has potential to be a pretty rad sounding amp, but before making any confirmed plans to get all this work done on it I wanted to get some feedback from you guys as this is a forum I trust more than anywhere else!

Thanks guys!

I've recently swapped all the transformers in my Roadster (OT, PT, Reverb & Choke) with Mercury Magnetics and the difference in clarity and definition is quite noticable. The amp's overdrive just feels "thicker", with much better string response/definition in a way I could not get from the amp before the swaps.

Trace @Voodoo has the Mercury Magnetics OT's & PT's wound to his specs to compliment his mods.

If the Mesa 562100 OT is indeed the one they used in the pre-500 I would give that one a try for sure.

With that said, I think you will get more "bank for your buck" tuning the preamp. I've heard good things about Dave Friedman (not sure of his experience with modding Rectos), and Jerry @FJA Mods and Trace @Voodoo Amps have been digging into Recto's for a long time and know them well.

Dom

I just sold my Heartbreaker and have an extremely lightly used Mercury 100 watt output transformer just laying around. I'll give you a great price!
I had this particular transformer in the amp for only 2 months and it was used a total of about 20 hours at practice volume.
I have decided that there is nowhere on this island that I can use a 100 watt amp effectively, so I've stepped down to 30 & 50 watt amps.
I think it is by far the greatest thing you can do for the tone!
There are tons of things you can do to the preamp, power amp, and phase inverter that will change how this amp sounds, but like Dom said, the transformer is the engine!

I have a 2006 Dual Rec that has been Voodoo modded with a Mercury Mag OT. I love the difference this made to the amp. The basic tones that the amp produces are more vibrant and open, than a stock Rectifier. I've often wondered if the power tranny and/or choke from MM would add to the wonderful sound this amp has.

The only complaint or criticism I have is that the amp itself doesn't really shine until the volume is quite loud. It really was designed to play in a big area, which is typically not what I have available to play it in.

I have experimented with the tube compliment, with great succcess, including running 2 YellowJackets with 6L6s for a quasi-Simul-Class hybrid tone.

I'b be very interested in hearing what someone other than Mesa could do with the Preamp voicing, as I typically run all of the channels with the bass completely off to give the amp more a 'high-mid' voicing - which I prefer.

So... here's a quick update... and i'm stoked about it..

So Dave Friedman is going to be doing the mods for me.... as far as transformers go, I totally lucked out.... I ended up securing the output and choke transformers that were in the pre-500 Dual Recs... for the power tranny... I actually found a 105 PT from a IIC+... which I'm sure is going to piss some people off that i'd put a 105 in a recto.. but this a total project experiment... I think it's going to be great... hoping to get my amp to dave friedman in the next week or so... then pics and clips will be coming!

Latest posts

Back