Driving the powertubes in the ROV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
Today I was tweaking the amp experimenting with some different sounds

My usual settings...Gain 3, Treble 11, Mid 11, Bass, 1 Presence 3, Master 12, Output at about 7:30 (bedroom volume) or 10:30 (crankin it)

Today...Gain 2, Treble 11, Mid 11, Bass 1, Presence 12, Master 7, Output 3. It was a distinct grittier/bassier sound at a lower volume, think Tools Hooker w/ a Penis during the verse. It also sounded more compressed so the Pot sounded half way decent too.

I didn't crank it too hard but when I put the master up to say...9... I noticed a subtle glass rattling like sound. I first attributed this to the basement itself there's a drop ceiling, stuff on shelfs, wall clock, and picture frames all with glass. A closer listen and it appeared to be coming through the speakers. I'm not 100% positive and I didn't want to irritate my wife too bad. I figured better to ask some questions here.

Was I driving the power tubes to hard when I cranked it a little? The "Today" settings are nice for bedroom volume because it's good ol power tube saturation. Am I shortening the life of the tubes this way? Could I be damaging the amp in anyway by cranking the output?

P.S. Loop was bypassed btw. I've done everything and all I get is a subtle fizz out of that loop. I've changed cords, pedal order, bought new cords, tried different tube combinations to include using new tubes in V-4. I've just resigned myself to the fact that that parallel loop sucks!

Hey whats happening cluch71,,,, glad to see you still have your ROV.
I couldnt help but notice your questions.
First off I seriously believe the the glass rattling sound you hear is simply the loose inards of one of your power tubes. This is no big deal at all.
Matter of fact you will only hear it playing at low volumes and I bet you hear it mostly when you strike a particular note. Below I will provide the last thread about this and in the thread another sight which is ebay that the seller sells some special dampers. I have recently bought these and they do work just fine. They solve any tube rattle you hear at low levels.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=11849&highlight=rattling

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220099363282&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D220099363282%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

I also noticed your settings and this is pretty much the way ive been running my ROV . I have found that you get a better tone from the ROV if you keep your master volume between 12-2 oclock and adjust your 2 channel master volumes accordingly. So while playing even at lower levels your forcing your power tubes to work harder and not just getting your sound from the preamp tubes. Ive been running it like this for the past 6 months now and not an issue,,,I use 6l6's,el34's and some kt77's and they all sound grear run like this.

good luck to you

Latest posts

Back