DR Power Tube Questions again...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylek

Reaction score
Okay, I just got a used 3 channel triple rec and it has Ruby Tubes in it. Is there any way to know what color batch original Mesa Power Tubes it had in it from the Serial number or such?

THanks

You could try contacting Mesa, but I don't understand the significance of which color batch it came stock with? It's just a matching system, there won't be much difference from color to color, they all must fall within a certain spec.

kylek said:
I know, I am Just curious.

not sure if there is any way to find out . . . contacting Mesa is best. I should mention this though:
all the Mesa ratings are very close to each other. they correspond to Groove Tubes 4-6 ratings to give you an idea. The difference in sound will not be drastic - the tube brand/type and quality control will have a greater effect on sound than whether it was shipped with green or white or whatever tubes.

If you're getting ready to retube, I'd go as hot as possible within the Mesa range, equivalent to GT #6 since the amp is biased pretty cold from the factory. You can run #7s safely too but they're technically out of the specified range.

I will take your yellow and raise you a green.

The yellow's are pretty cool running tubes and Mesa ships them so they dont have customer with tubes blowing up after a week. They usually pull -17ma and can last quite a while. No tube likes shock or extreme temerature changes. A lot of people expect they can toss their amps around like ragdolls and they will work. The secret to tubes is to be as gentle as possible with them.

Hmm. My Triple came with purple. AFAIK, it really doesn't make any difference, as the STR440s I just got were yellows.

My 2 ch dual recto came with the green 420, but that was ten years ago.
Now I have green 430´s in it.

(foot note)
green versus yellow ... to GT they would be the same tube

After a year my Yellows are solid, but the tone is belly up. Still sound good at all volumes, just not as clean. I have to expect more break up than i used to. About to retube. Think I'll go with the green so i can change once a year.

I've read (not heard) higher rating are cleaner for longer but burn out quicker, oposite for lower ... Dirtier but last longer.

Any experienced Mesa colored tubers out there?
(I'm under warranty, and like to stay that way)

Latest posts

Back