Delay suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artmusic

Reaction score
I am looking to get away from my GT-8 sinse I mostly only use the delay and some chorus from it. What would be a good suggestion for an excellent delay that does not mess with tone through the effects loop. Thanks for any input.
Art

I am a fan of the DD-5 from BOSS. I bought two. One for subtle delay and another for over the top Alex Lifeson type solos that create that 'atmosphere' of sound. I tried the new DD-7. Don't waste your money on it. The new modes are not what they are cracked up to be!

The Nova Delay is popular but twice the price of a used DD-5.

The Boss DD-7 is in fact versatile & sounds fine. You may not get value upgrading from a DD-6 but you will from a DD-5.

Ibanez AD202 Analog Delay:

ad202.JPG

I am looking to get away from my GT-8 sinse I mostly only use the delay and some chorus from it

I too came from a GT8 (which is a great piece of kit), and I went with a TC Nova delay. I use multiple delay settings, so presets were a must and the ND1 gives you 9. The quality is excellent- far superior to the GT8, and even though the price is high- the pedal is a great value.
Check one out if you have a chance-

Laskyman

Thanks for all the great input. I will try out some of these suggestions. The biggest thing for me is to not alter my sound as much as possible. I find that I am not really even using the chorus very much on the GT, and only use the delay and the octave. It really seems like overkill for my needs in addition to all the floor space it takes up. I think the GT is a great unit too if you are making use of most of its functions, but I am not. I don't really need or want to anymore. And it does alter the sound of my amps and guitars.
Thanks all,
Art

I use a Carl Martin Red Repeat in the loop and there is no tone suck at all. It's a really nice delay in my opinion. AC power is a must though because it'll kill a 9v in less than one evening.

Artmusic said:
The biggest thing for me is to not alter my sound as much as possible.

if your amp has a parallel fx loop, look for a delay that lets you send the delay repeats only (i.e. 100% wet) back into the amp. i do that with my boss dd-20 and it keeps the original signal pristine.

i really don't if my opinion is valuable 'caus i only used one delay... the boss DD-5... i used it in my noisy pop years with a huge reverb and i really liked it... i lose it like a dumb *** i am and often cry 'bout it :D

meursault said:
i really don't if my opinion is valuable 'caus i only used one delay... the boss DD-5... i used it in my noisy pop years with a huge reverb and i really liked it... i lose it like a dumb *** i am and often cry 'bout it :D

Funny post! Speaking of the DD-5 - I have one for sale. I decided two delays is just silly. PM me if interested...

lyman said:
Artmusic said:
The biggest thing for me is to not alter my sound as much as possible.

if your amp has a parallel fx loop, look for a delay that lets you send the delay repeats only (i.e. 100% wet) back into the amp. i do that with my boss dd-20 and it keeps the original signal pristine.

Using my Egnater I can choose parallel or series for the loop. I tried the GT-8 100% wet through the loop in parallel but it sounded bad. My F-30 is parallel, I will check out the suggestions posted. I have read some good things about the dd-20.
thanks,
Art

If you have the $$$ pick up the T-rex Replica delay. You can get it cheaper on E-bay.

MusicManJP6 said:
meursault said:

Funny post! Speaking of the DD-5 - I have one for sale. I decided two delays is just silly. PM me if interested...

funny yeah.. it seems i write it with my feet... thanx for the proposition but i'm trying to reduce a maximum my "pedal board"... and i'm not into noisy pop stuff anymore... for now :-D

any comments on these ones?

Maxon AD-999 Analog Delay
T-REX REPLICA DELAY
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Akai E2 Headrush Delay/Looper Pedal
Eventide Timefactor

The T-Rex is a great delay- very organic, but spendy @$400- for this kind of money, might as well go "all in" and get the time factor which is infinately more powerful....

The DD20 is cool too (multiple settings on tap), but I found the TC ND1 to be more organic and transparent for not much more money...

My $.02

I haven't tried the others....

Laskyman

Laskyman said:

The T-Rex is a great delay- very organic, but spendy @$400- for this kind of money, might as well go "all in" and get the time factor which is infinately more powerful....

The DD20 is cool too (multiple settings on tap), but I found the TC ND1 to be more organic and transparent for not much more money...

My $.02

I haven't tried the others....

Laskyman

I am willing to go up to 700$ for a good digital delay that has that tap set-up, also that will compliment my Maxon AD-9 Pro Analog Delay...

secretsoundz said:
I'm really digging my MXR Carbon Copy analog delay!

mxr.jpg

I'm with you - I like the Carbon Copy. I went through various Boss units before MXR released this delay.

Latest posts

Back