DC-5 Volume Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highwaynine

Reaction score
Until now, I have always heeded the warning on the back of my amp which says basically "If you open this up, you're going to screw something up, so call a tech, dummy".

But I really want to do the volume mod, so I'm swallowing my pride and asking a dumb question: do I have to take the tubes out in order to pull the head?

That might become clear if I tried it, but I don't want to break one just to find out.

I had a DC-5 and now have a DC-10 and would definitely recommend pulling the power tubes first. You can get the amp out without doing so but if you're working on it I think you'll find you can't set it upside down on a table, components exposed, with the tubes in anyway.

If you've never done this before just bend the retaining clips out a little then gently wiggle the tube a little as you pull up. Don't be overly aggressive with it. The tubes go in only one way but first squeeze the retaining clips together enough so they help hold the tube steady when you put it back in. Clips have an edge so don't cut yourself.

Thanks for being helpful. I was wondering about the clips. Is it true that I have to use a cloth, because the oil in my skin will make the tube fail?

And :oops: am I right in thinking that the two bigger tubes are my power tubes, and the others are the pre-amp tubes? :oops:

Though I haven't used a rag before I have heard that about oil getting on the tubes so it's probably not a bad idea. Certainly isn't going to hurt anything and may help. And yes, big tubes are power amp tubes.

highwaynine said:
Until now, I have always heeded the warning on the back of my amp which says basically "If you open this up, you're going to screw something up, so call a tech, dummy".

But I really want to do the volume mod, so I'm swallowing my pride and asking a dumb question: do I have to take the tubes out in order to pull the head?

That might become clear if I tried it, but I don't want to break one just to find out.
I did the output volume mod, and to be honest, I don't hear much of a difference @ band volumes. Bedroom volumes it's much more manageable, but it's still a little touchy. It goes from off to "loud", instead of off to "LOUD".

highwaynine said:

Hi Highway,

It's really easy, just take your time and observe the obvious when you're removing and replacing the chassis.

I'd definitely remove the power tubes just to make it easier to work and handle the chassis, and as MJ said you can stand it on a bench w/o them there. Also, go ahead and use bare hands to remove them. You'll have much better grip, and as such you will be far less likely to put undue pressure on the glass or base. Getting oil on the glass really is only a problem with certain bulbs, like halogens. This caveat does NOT apply to vacuum tubes as they do not reach anything close to the temps that halogens do, so no worries there --but if it makes you feel any better, you can wipe them down after you reinstall, but really it makes no difference ...so long as your hands are clean, that is :)

Go at it. It's easy and worth it IMHO.

Edward

Fxrs said:
I did the output volume mod, and to be honest, I don't hear much of a difference @ band volumes. Bedroom volumes it's much more manageable, but it's still a little touchy. It goes from off to "loud", instead of off to "LOUD".

:lol: I believe you. But even that would be worth it to me.

edward said:
highwaynine said:

Hi Highway,

It's really easy, just take your time and observe the obvious when you're removing and replacing the chassis.

I'd definitely remove the power tubes just to make it easier to work and handle the chassis, and as MJ said you can stand it on a bench w/o them there. Also, go ahead and use bare hands to remove them. You'll have much better grip, and as such you will be far less likely to put undue pressure on the glass or base. Getting oil on the glass really is only a problem with certain bulbs, like halogens. This caveat does NOT apply to vacuum tubes as they do not reach anything close to the temps that halogens do, so no worries there --but if it makes you feel any better, you can wipe them down after you reinstall, but really it makes no difference ...so long as your hands are clean, that is :)

Go at it. It's easy and worth it IMHO.

Edward

Thanks. This was all really helpful to read. Tonight may be the night! :shock:

Do it man.

Of course you will be a bit apprehensive but once you have done it you will wonder what you were worried about.

Its a great mod and really worthwhile doing.

I did it!

Ironically enough, I had to take it right to band practice, so I haven't tried it at bedroom levels yet.

BUT, I didn't ruin the amp head, or even any tubes. Never would have had the confidence to do that myself without this board. Thanks, guys. :)

Latest posts

Back