dc-5 serial number + crackling pot

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanike

Reaction score
i have an early dc-5 head:

dobradcen9.jpg

where should i look for it's serial number? i'm curious about the year of production... which numbers in serial number are important?

secondly, my output level pot seems to crackle when adjusting... well, output level, obviously. some DeoxIT Cleaningspray will probably do the job, but how do i remove the pot knob? thanks a lot in advance!

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Dual%20Cal%20DC-5.pdf

that is the owner's manual for the DC-5. there is a parts list for all the parts on the amp. you can order a new pot if you wish.

usually, you have to remove the amp from the box, take off the knob, remove the nut holding the pot on, remove the wires on the back, then put in a new knob in reverse order.

if you don't feel comfortable, let an amp tech do it, it is a quick and easy replacement.

the serial number on my DC-3 is on the bottom of the chassis by the power cord. hope that helps

thanks for advice, but i'm not thinking about replacing the whole pot. in such case, DeoxIT (or similar prep) should help, i did the same thing with crackling pots on guitars, etc.
i just need to know, how am i supposed to get to the pot, remove knob...
i know i'll probably have to remove chassis....

my serial number is dc-1049x
does it contain any information on the production year?

I don't think you can extract the production year out of the serial number. But you can take a look inside. The capacitors habe a code on them, which tells you their production year (and week). Just take a look at the big blue ones, there should be a code on them that starts with 94, 95 etc.

i've opened my amp only once, and i've taken few photos from that period....

nahamesa3lc2.gif

so my amp should by from 1993, am i right?

Well the picture quality is not good enough to see the code on the caps. (But the handwriting could indicate either 91 or 93 I think.) Just take a look at the caps to get the real production code of them.

Latest posts

Back