DC-3 vs. DC-5?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukelion

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm thinking about getting one of these amps as a combo. I played a DC-5 head some years ago, but I don't really remember what it sounded like :oops: ..
I will be using it for bedroom playing (so I guess I will be doing the resistor mod?)

What are the main differences in sound between these two amps?

Btw, I'm playing a PRS standard 24, if that's of any importance 8)

If you are only playing in your bedroom then you should probably go with the DC - 3. EL84 tubes are cheaper to replace and you might even be able to run it at half power by remove 2 of the tubes in essence creating a 15 watt amp.

I haven't played either amp but it looks like the preamp section is the same for both and just the power amp sections are different.

Greg

Neither can be consider "bedroom" amps, yet both could be used as such. I'm a long-time owner/devotee of the DC5 ...it and it's larger brother are amazing amps with great cleans, rich bluesy breakup, and creamy OD. The DC3 is the same with a just a different voice, so it really boils down to whether you like that EL84 sound. Personally, I think it lacks the rich, tight bottom of a good 6L6 amp, but that's just me. Lots love the DC3 tone, and I would not disagree. No real way to decide w/o hearing them, to be honest. Roll the dice if you can find either at a good price, and sell it if you hate it ...they hold their value very well.

Edward

With a DC-5 you have the ability to not only run the 6L6s but you can also run EL84s with yellow jacket converters. This to me would be the better choice.

Latest posts

Back