Dating Boogie Mark 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faracaster

Reaction score
Hi All
My first post on this board.
I have just today bought a Boogie Mark 1 head and matching 1x12 cab loaded with a EVM.
It has the 60/100 switch, the tweed switch, reverb, slave out, black tolex, dymo lable markers on the rear panel and the words Mark 1 screened on the front
This amp sounds AMAZING !!!!!! What is even more amazing is I think it sounds amazing. I have played a number of Mk1's through the years (never extensively) and always found them brittle and lacking in shimmer. WHATEVER !!!!! Those days are OVER !!!!!! Beautiful Clean tone with all types of guitars and smooth fat overdrive when driven. Also that EV sounds great!!!! I've used and sold many of them before because they didn't suit my ear. but this one .......wow!!!
My questions are.....
I can't seem to find a serial number on the exterior of the amp. Is it on the inside of the cab?
Is there a list of serial numbers available on line? I really like to date this sucka!

Thanks
Pete

You have to take some pictures of this Mark I. We might have some ideas about your amp.

Also check the 6L6s tubes. Are the labels green or blue saying "STR415"?

dymo labels means this is a very early MESA Boogie.

RR said:
You have to take some pictures of this Mark I. We might have some ideas about your amp.

Also check the 6L6s tubes. Are the labels green or blue saying "STR415"?

dymo labels means this is a very early MESA Boogie.

I will get some pix up a little later. I know this particular quartet looks completely mis-matched. I'll give you some more info on that ASAP.
The dymo labels are so worn, I could barely tell which speaker output was which.

sundaypunch said:
The serial number should be a label on the back by the speaker jacks. What do you mean by a "tweed switch"? They didn't have a tweed switch.

The power switch is a three-way type. Off in the middle, Power on in the up position, and in the down position, it is labeled "tweed". I was told it affected the powersupply and made the notes sag and blossom a little more than the other way.

Pete

sundaypunch said:
The serial number should be a label on the back by the speaker jacks. What do you mean by a "tweed switch"? They didn't have a tweed switch.
farcaster:
You may not have an original Mark I but a Reissue. The originals did not have "tweed switch". And why the dymo labels beats me if yours is a reissue.

You have a reissue, not an old amp.

The reissues have the "tweed" power. Old ones didn't. The reissues also say "Mark I" on the front panel while the originals didn't. They said nothing at first and then later said "Mesa/Boogie Ltd."

They were just Mark series amps and weren't known as a Mark I until the Mark II was introduced.

sundaypunch said:
The serial number should be a label on the back by the speaker jacks.

Right...I just got in and have looked at the amp. It has a dymo label that says H001227 I assume that's the serial number. Seems like it's reissue according to you folks. Any one have any idea when it was built?
Here's some shots of it.

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00098-1.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

sundaypunch said:
Hey, is that a Kelley (FACS?) in the background? I have always wanted to try one of them. How does it compare to the Boogie?

It is a Kelley 30/60 Reverb. FANTASTIC amp and a real workhorse for me.I've had it for a number of years now. Not anything like a Boogie really. I used to own the FACS prototype which had the master volume and switching etc. I guess that was somewhat similar. Sold it, as it was sonically inferior to the 30/60.

Yep it looks like a reissue. I just read the Tonequest review of it. It was never sold to me as original, just as a Mark 1. I am delighted with the amp it sounds KILLER !!!!!

faracaster said:
I am delighted with the amp it sounds KILLER !!!!!

and thats the only thing that really matters!

My original Mark 1 ( #355) is due back from Mesa today after getting a looking over and clean up. I'm looking forward to getting it back.

Latest posts

Back