Cutting output on TR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

young774080

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Triple Rectifier and was wondering is there a way to cut the output down by pulling the two outer power tubes and one rectifier tube?

If so, what does this do to the impedance?

In the manual it mentions the ability to do this to the dual rec but doesn't mention the trip rec. I've searched and searched for an answer, found some information, but need a straight up answer.

Thank you.
First post as a member!

Hello, Welcome to The Board.

Yes you can safely remove those tubes, but the volume difference is really not that noticeable. I did that exact same thing with the Triple Recto I owned before my Roadster and ended up putting the tubes back in after a few weeks. I found that the biggest difference with the tubes pulled was not volume or power tube clip, but a loss of headroom for the cleans, and a loss of balls in the low-end for the entire amp. I tried it with the impedance matched and halved and found I liked it better matched ( 8-ohm cab to 8-ohm jack) and played it that way for weeks with no troubles. There really is no match because you changed the OT impedance by a third, so you would need something like a 5.5 ohm jack to get a match with an 8 ohm cab. In the end I found I liked the amp better with all the tubes, YMMV.

Dom

young774080 said:
Hello,

I have a Triple Rectifier and was wondering is there a way to cut the output down by pulling the two outer power tubes and one rectifier tube?

You can, but don't bother. If 150 watts is too much for you, 100 isn't going to be better.

Latest posts

Back