Custom Head Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotts

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum, but I've checked in and received great advice from time to time. I was tired of lugging my LS 2x12 up and down the stairs. I was not in love with the C90 speakers either. I decided to purchase a 4x12 cab from avatar loaded with Hellatone 60's and Helllatone 30's and couldn't be happier with the sound. I thought i would purchase a shell to put the guts from Mesa Boogie but wasn't in love with the $350 price tag. I decided to take matters into my own hands and build a shell out of maple and stain it with a Transblack finish. I figure that you guys might appreciate it so I posted some pics.
IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

It cost me about $150 in materials and about 15 hours to make it. I did it in sections and spread it out over a few nights and weekends. I made an assumption that the width of the chassis was a little wider than the opening but I was dead wrong so I had to remake the front and back panels. My amp stays put at a practice location so I didn't take it apart until I was ready to swap it out when I figured out I had an issue. Next time I know.

My father remodels kitchen's for a living and I grew up helping him as a kid. My ability for wood working comes naturally. Beyond that I have a full workshop with just about any tool I could want to complete the job in my fathers basement so it's kind of like cheating. I used a dovetail jig and a router to create the joints. It's all glued together. The only screws hold on the front panel, the grill cloth and the rear panel. I took the liberty of protecting my tubes with the back panel because they were just exposed in the combo.

I'm glad you guys like it. I'll post a picture of the head on my new speaker cab. As much as I like how the head came out, I'm in love with the way it sounds through my new 4x12 cab. It's like Christmas in April.

Latest posts

Back