Cranked my Mark V (all the way...) today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRory

Reaction score
Like the title says, today I got to visit my dad in the country and I brought my Mark V head, 4x12 cab and pedals and whatnot, and got it MAX output at 10w, 45w, and finally 90w. I tried Variac and Full power on each and tweaked a ton. I was playing through a ESP EC-1000 Deluxe with 81/60 EMGs. I've never really played outside in an OPEN area, but it sounded great. I could totally back off the gain almost completely due to the power tube saturation. As I put the volume higher i lowered the presence and the treble, because It could pretty trebley cranked. It sounded great but it felt like something was missing. Not from the tone, but a band! Needed a drummer, bassist, and maybe a 2nd guitarist + singer, but I didn't have it.
I'll fix that soon enough!

Anyway, has anyone else done this? I noticed Mark I mode sounded kickass cranked. Channel 2 really had some kickass crunch in crunch mode and Channel 3 was probably the hardest to dial IMO, but I loved all 3 modes in channel 3. I'm still kinda confused about tweaking it when its that loud. Any tips? for playing rock, alternative and some metal.

Nwver gone all the way up before, but some tips for when cranking, gain down when volume goes up, and probably take it easy on the treble and presence too to avoid overly bright tones

I've never cranked the output all the way. With the band, I'm at noon on the individual
master volumes and noon to 1 on the output. That's still plenty loud with a drummer,
bass, another guitar, and singer. If I played this thing cranked I'd drown out the
drummer no problem...hehehe...along with everyone else...our PA's kinda wimpy.
I agree there's nothing like having the Mark V loud. It opens up and cleans up nicely.

what i love doing is crankin the baby and walkin around my house with my wireless to see how loud i can get it also its a great way to break in speakers lol

Back