Converting my mark iv combo into a rackmount head! (+PICS!)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesaIV

Reaction score
So I'm about to start working on it..
Anybody some last tips ?
thanks

Can I also just pull out the tubes and put (THE SAME TUBES) in again later without problems?

How bout you just leave it alone and use it as a head? Easier yes?

Tip: Make sure you wipe human oil from the tubes before installing them. Using surgical gloves when putting the tubes back in their sockets.

I'm sure someone gonna contradict what I say and say they did not have any problem replacing tube without wiping the tubes before putting the tubes back into the sockets.

RR said:
Tip: Make sure you wipe human oil from the tubes before installing them. Using surgical gloves when putting the tubes back in their sockets.

I'm sure someone gonna contradict what I say and say they did not have any problem replacing tube without wiping the tubes before putting the tubes back into the sockets.

You knew this one was loaded. Vaccum Tubes are not a member Halogen bulb family. Body oil should not hurt them at all.

Clamp please, wait, wait, I need suction......

So yesterday I pulled out the tubes.
But we're going to make it rackmounted (because the head was to hard :p ). So I had to put it back into the combo and make it the next day!
But today I had a rehearsal so I took my combo with me..
But I just STANK reaaaalll hard. Like something burned..
I did everything as normal, but I took out the reverb (but the reverb knob was on 0!) the fan was working as normal..
I haven't got a clue what's causing this awfull smell :s
anybody ?

Friend of mine guessed it was some dust!
We did saw some pieces of wood, probably that..
I dusted it off and finally put it into my rack!
With some handyness of my uncle we did it!
pics later!

So it is sounding ok?
Did you look it over good when you pulled it out of the combo to see if anything (components) looked burnt?

Anyway, hope it all works out, post the pictures when you are done and let us know how things are sounding.

Haven't heard it since rehearsal yesterday..
Tomorrow I'm gigging so I hope all turns out well :s

'aight! Some pics!
mesaii002small7su.jpg

mesaii005small0yy.jpg

mesaii007small0jj.jpg

mesaii008small8cb.jpg

Oh yes just a quick question about the FAN! As you see on the pic i hung it in front and under the pre-amp tubes will it cool enough now ? And will the pre-amp tubes not be TOO cooled ?

thanks[/list]

pulling tubes is no problem, did it too when i made mine rackmounted.

btw, is your head now really rackmounted or is it screwed to the top?

Uhm, I took 2 bars and hung them into the rack and screwed my top on them.. You don't see the screws like in normal rackstuff but they're on the inside of the bars..

I wouldn't worry tioo much about cooling the preamp tubes. They can run with no problems without fan cooling. It's much more important to keep the power tubes ruiing cool - will increase tube life and reliability.

I have a question.

Why would you do this?

A rackmount kit can be had for $50 on eBay, which is nothing compared to how much you paid for the IV. Not to mention, that doesn't look stable or safe to any degree.

Looks like screws were driven right though the front face plate of the amp. OMG I feel like I've witnessed a murder!

nocluejimbo said:
I have a question.

Why would you do this?

A rackmount kit can be had for $50 on eBay, which is nothing compared to how much you paid for the IV. Not to mention, that doesn't look stable or safe to any degree.

Because I don't live in America. There were only sold 11 kits in belgium wich I haven't been able to find! If you find one here its 250 euros or something..
And it's stable though! Altough a kit would be much handier..

Latest posts

Back