Converting a Combo to a Head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenoBluzGtr

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this conversion?

I am thinking about changing out the Chassis in my MK IV widebody and moving it to a Head Shell.

Can this be done?
If so, How difficult is it, and what pitfalls should I avoid?
Am I crazy for considering it?

Are empty shells easy to find?

You can find heads on ebay from time to time. Or, you could build your own or get one from an amp cloner! The Boogie head cabs are suprisingly similar to the older BF/SF fender heads ;)

It's not difficult to do. Since it is a wide body chassis it may be hard to find a wide body head cab used. Most of the used head cabs I've seen are for short chassis Mark series amps. So you may have to have one built, or get a new one from Mesa. The other thing to consider is the reverb tank is not mounted the same way in the heads and combos. In the combos it's in a vinyl bag that is mounted to the bottom of the cabinet with a strap. On the heads the tank hangs upside down and is bolted directly to the cabinet with screws and t-nuts. It has a metal cover on it to protect the springs and the cables are much shorter. So you would need the hardware, cover and cable set to mount the tank in this manner or get a cabinet with the tank already in it.

A friend of mine did it to his DC-3.
Actually he didn´t DO it, he just had it done for him and it worked out pretty good!

Right now I´m at work, but when I get home I´ll post some pics.

mesa.jpg

I paid about 300 bucks to Boogie for them to ship me a short head cabinet so that I could convert my Mark IV. It came with the reverb tank included into the cabinet (mounted on the bottom, like someone stated earlier).

If you dont want the reverb tank included, its a bit cheaper.

Switching it out was as easy as could be.

Latest posts

Back