complete re-tube of my LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratoquack

Reaction score
Okay folks, I'm going to completely re-tube by LSC head. I plan on using Mesa tubes. Are there any tricks or advice b/4 I purchase said tubes? Do I need to make sure they are Chinese or Russian or does it make a difference?
Thanks,
Bill

stratoquack said:
Okay folks, I'm going to completely re-tube by LSC head. I plan on using Mesa tubes. Are there any tricks or advice b/4 I purchase said tubes? Do I need to make sure they are Chinese or Russian or does it make a difference?
Thanks,
Bill

I'm about to do the same thing. I'd replace them with the ones currently in your amp and buy a spare Chinese 12AX7a, if you've never had any issues with the Chinese 1s/Russian 2s thing.

Power tubes: I'd try to purchase ones that are the same color code as the ones your amp shipped with. However, I don't think there's any real concerns when buying Mesa tubes. They do recommend the SPAX7a for V1 ("Special Requirement tube"), but I've heard some have had less luck with this one when it comes to tone. Anyhow, I'd just always have a Chinese 12AX7a at hand just in case.

A question I'd like to throw out for those with more experience who are gonna chime in here soon: what to do about the phase inverter-tube? Will any std. Mesa preamp tube do well here, or do you have to order a specially balanced one or something?

What is the tube lineup of the stock Lonestar Special ? The one I tried in the music store the other day sounded fabulous.

The phase-inverter tube does need to be balanced ("balanced triodes" is how you generally see them described, or as an option when purchasing preamp tubes).

Mesa made it easy with the Lonestar. Just get matched pairs...I buy them at GC.
pull the old ones and insert the new ones. That's it. IT's a lot easier if you lay the amp
on something face down..you can get to them easier that way. I put mine on a table
with a blanket on the table to protect the front of the amp. That gets it at a working height
and makes for easy access.. Should take you all of two minutes.

Back