Clean Boost pedal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe187

Reaction score
Anybody using a good clean boost? Any recommendations? I want to give my strats a kick on the clean channels. Is this the way to go?

Thanks

Joe

I'm looking a boost pedal as well. I tried the micro amp and it was not for me. Keeley's Katana clean boost has both a clean and dirty setting that is pretty cool. I also like the Keeley Java boost but that is a treble booster and I can't decide which I want for my purposes yet.

I'm going to use my boost pedal in my silvertone to overdrive the amp a bit further (the treble boost will also brighten that dark amp). I will try it in my mesa for fun but a clean boost pedal is good for one of two things right?: to get a louder sound or to push the amp into overdrive. Since your Roadster (and my amp) already has a solo boost, I don't think the clean boost will provide you anything new on your clean channel and will be a disapointment.

To kick up your strat in your rig (nice rig by the way), assuming the solo boost doesn't is not an option, you could try an overdrive pedal with the gain turned down to maintain your clean sound. With the right pedal you could get both a boost and change the color of your clean tone if that is something you're looking for. I've experimented with this trying various pedals without much luck... always preferred my clean recto sound, but that's not to say there aren't pedals out there that would work.

Is the solo button on the footswitch not enough of a boost? I tried several OD pedals, and an EQ pedal to get a boost with my MIV, but when I got the Roadster, the solo button solved all my problems.

I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster and the Xotic BB Preamp as well. I've not tried either one, but the BB is supposed to work well with Mesas...

My Sonic Stomp increases the volume a bit and adds some dimension to leads, so it could be said that it would work as a boost in a sense... It just depends on how much of a boost you want I guess... Of course I leave mine on most of the time...

in clean mode, i can use my barber tone press (compressor, with parallel compression) as a simple clean boost, with as much (or little) compression as i want....

set the vol on the pedal for boost over unity.

the launch pad, is a true boost, with a lot of super clean headroom.

What's about the PB1?

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-pb1.htm

15 db boost, really clean.

I just got a BB preamp today and used it tonight for practice with my other band. I use mostly clean tones in the band, but I wanted a boost for solo/lead stuff. The BB preamp worked great with the clean tones on my C+. It really complemented the amps tones very well!

I use NAU Engineering Spoonfull Overdrive.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/NAU+Engineering/Spoonfull+Overdrive/10/1

If you can find one give it a try.
You can call John and i am sure he would make one for you also.
Lucky for me he lives only a couple miles away.

I found a pic of it.
Not mine.
nau_spoonful_001.jpg

You could try a Keeley Compressor and use it as a clean boost. I would also take a look at a TC Jauernig Luxury Drive. I have a Gristle King which combines the Luxury Drive with a DGTM overdrive. It's a great pedal. The Luxury Drive will push your guitar/amp without changing the character of your tone.

Ive had a pickup booster for about 3 or 4 years now. They do a fine job of boosting signals. As a matter of fact, one of my most memorable memories of really really good tone came from running an am dlx power telecaster through the pickup booster and into a 1970s 50 watt marshall jmp mkII head through a modern marshall 1960 cab. The amp was running at a very high volume in a band rehearsal room. It was one of those simple yet toneful solos that made the rest of the band drop their jaws, I was delighted too. I wish I had gotten a chance to record it. Ever since then I religiously keep the pickup booster near my amp.

You can run 9-12 volts into it, it gets +6 up to +26 db of gain, battery life is okay. I don't really use the Pickup resonance switch though.

Word of caution, the screws are easily stripped. Given a chance, I'd love to try this pedal with other mesa amps, especially a blue angel.

The Xotic RC Booster is very popular. I just got one, but haven't had a lot of time with it yet.

Latest posts

Back