Clean Boost pedal vs Overdrive pedal???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
I want to push my amp harder without changing the tone, is the clean boost pedals the best way to go or the overdrive? I have a rocktron nitro now that adds boost but it also adds a little compression which I can hear, and I dont like. The boost is good I just dont like the compression I can hear.

you could try an mxr micro amp, or better yet the keeley katana clean boost, each doesnt do add or take away from your tone, and def. doesnt compress

I use a Seymour Duncan Pickup booster, I don't hear any coloration or compression in the normal position.. There is a switch that add a little low-mid to make single coils sound more like humbucker, move the switch the other way and it makes humbucker sound like single coils, 6 to 26 db of clean boost, I love it. I got it to use when swapping between my Peavey Wolfgang and my Tele's in the middle of a show.

But for pushing my amp in to the distortion zone, I use a Tubescreamer..... I just use the pickup booster to make my distortion levels match since they are normally a bit lower with the single coils when compared to the wolfgang.

tele_jas said:
I use a Seymour Duncan Pickup booster, I don't hear any coloration or compression in the normal position.. There is a switch that add a little low-mid to make single coils sound more like humbucker, move the switch the other way and it makes humbucker sound like single coils, 6 to 26 db of clean boost, I love it. I got it to use when swapping between my Peavey Wolfgang and my Tele's in the middle of a show.

But for pushing my amp in to the distortion zone, I use a Tubescreamer..... I just use the pickup booster to make my distortion levels match since they are normally a bit lower with the single coils when compared to the wolfgang.

man, he took the words right out of my mouth!

-AJH

If you want a nice boost and overdrive, definitely check out the Fulltone FullDrive 2
1) It has true bypass.
2) It has a very clean overdrive and two more "distorted" overdrives. 3 different settings. It has a boost setting also. Dials for gain and overdrive.
I had a TS-9DX. The older ones or Keeley modded ones are better I am sure. Definitely at least try out the FT FD2. I was using it in front of a Super Reverb.

I run a Maxon OD808 in front of my amp with the gain off and the level at 3:00. Coloration is minimal but it pushes the amp and tightens the low end very nicely.

Another way to go might be a Gristle King by TC Jauernig. It has a clear drive and an overdrive, which I think is base on an OD-808. You can use either by themselves or together. It's an outstanding pedal.

ok I googled it and this is what i found out. Clean boost pedals add gain to a dirty amp and volume and a little gain to a clean amp. So if you like your amps tone but want more gain go for clean boost. A overdrive is when you want more and want to change the tone of your amp. I think thats it. It looks like Im going to go with the bbe "boosta grande" its rated at 22db of clean boost with no compression. what do you guys think?

I know Fredster used to run a, I think, VooDoo lab Sparkle Drive in front of a Stilleto. You may want to check that out? Good luck my friend

-AJH

nathan28 said:
Is it clean boost and overdrive the samething? what is the difference?

I think you nailed it in the your post after this one....

* Clean boost - Pretty much sounds like what it's called, it takes the signal from your guitar and "boost" it in volume, which in turn pushed your amps preamp harder, over drives it and makes it distort quicker (all inside your amp).

* Overdrive - Is a pedal (or FX unit) that alredy has preamp distortion and sends the dirty signal to your amp. Adding overdrive to a clean amp can make a clean channel a dirty channel, adding overdrive to a distortion channel can make it smoother, or muddier depending on how you have it set. It can also cause some horindous feedback.

There are some pedals that have a switch that lets it do one or the other, the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal has that but the boost seems a bit compressed too.

But if you googled it, this post probably means nothing now.

But you can still use an overdrive as a clean boost provided you keep your gain level down on the overdrive. For example, I like to use my SD-1 with the gain down and the level up. This will just boost your signal. If you want to color your tone that is up to you and the tone knob. I have never heard of a clean boost being used as an overdrive though. I have even used distortion pedals as clean boost before in a pinch. I have recently been auditioning my old distortion pedals as clean boosts. I have tried the Rat and a MT-2 (Metal Zone) both with the gains down and with the levels up and got decent boost out of them. For that matter I have used my GE-7 as a clean boost. Clean boost is nothing more than upping your signal to the front end of your amp. There really is nothing magic about it. Overdrive just adds some gain prior to your amp thus having your amp add gain to an already gain modified signal. Overdrives are like distortion pedals in this way. Unlike many people are conditioned to believe, you can get clean boost out of a distortion/overdrive pedal you just have to turn down the gain... I am willing to bet that you could even get clean boost out of an old chorus pedal with the modulation turned down but with the level turned up. Try using pedals in other than typical ways. You will be surprised in what you get.

LSCMan said:
Fulltone Fat Boost!!!

The Fulltone does double duty...it s an excellet stand alone boost pedal,but when run to max settings,it adds more drive. Plus,you can run it on 18V to really increase Db's and drive.
Dont remember the price on the Duncan,but that was a very natural sounding boost as well.

Another vote for the FD II. The "comp cut" setting of the three-way mini-toggle gives you as much CLEAN boost as you want to dial in. This is PURE GAIN (the textbook definition of gain, i.e. LOUDER but NOT distorted.

Any distortion you get is from the guitar signal hitting your tubes harder in the amp, that is, natural distortion. To my ears, stomping on the FD II in the "comp cut" setting gives you the same sound as cranking the gain up on your amp, or pretty close anyway.

You can also use the FD II as a convential OD pedal by moving the mini switch to the "full mid" or "vintage" setting. The "vintage" setting sounds closest to a TS-9. In addition, the FD II has a second footswitch called "boost" that adds even more volume, sustain and dirt if you need it for leads, more of a distortion / fuzz sound. So you've got basically three pedals in one.

Back