Clean Boost - Dual Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kincaide

Reaction score
I'm looking to find a good clean boost/distortion pedal that I can use to give the clean channel on my dual a nice overdrive. I already have a MXR GT-OD to boost my dirty channel.

Anybody playing anything good these days? Looking for a nice Mogwai/Indie sound from the channel

Thanks!

I suggest you do a Google search of clean boosters. When you find examples, look at what drives the circuit, they'll list it in the specifications. You don't want something that lists overdrive or diode clipping in the features. Even classic linear boosts are going to color your tone, adding a slight darkness and warmth to the sound.

Mosfets are used in most of the good clean boosts out there. Keeley's Katana, BBE's Boosta Grande, ZVex's Super Hard On, or Fulltone's Gt-500 all have good clean boost available.

Used on the 'pushed' setting on your clean channel, you'll be surprised at how much gain is available. In fact, I sometimes use the clean channel on pushed with either a clean boost or a good overdrive with the gain turned way down and the level knob cranked to get a decent passable Marshall JCM-800 kind of sound. I use this configuration to play Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc.

The RC booster is REALLY good on the clean channel of the DR. Just make sure you roll off some of the bass on the pedal, and you'll be in overdrive heaven.

I am using a BBE Green Screamer with almost no gain in my Lonestar and it kicks both channels really nicely. Really tightens everything up. I suspect that once I replace the pickups in my DC Paul Standard with a 59' and a JB I may just crank up the gain on the Green Screamer and use it as an overdrive pedal. I suspect I won't be needing a boost anymore.
Art

I reccomend the Xotic effects lineup. The RC will be the absolute cleanest and most tranparent out there. Compared to the Keeley Katana boost the RC was hands down the clear winner for me. The RC is so quiet you cant even tell when its on (noise wise) but, once you do turn it on you'll never want to turn it off. For me it enhaces the tone of not only the amp but my guitar and effects as well. I think the RC or the AC is the way to go. The BB is an amazing pedal but is more towards drive than clean boost. The Fulltone GT-500 has a REALLY GREAT clean boost channel also and the distortion side is one of my Favorite tones through my DR's clean channel right now.

Back