Choosing the right Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zosojjc

Reaction score
I know similar questions are posted all the time but I was hoping to gain some specific advice from the experience you all have. I am in the market for my first Mesa and I think I have it narrowed down to a Mark IV and a Rectoverb (both combos).

What I am looking for is the cleans of the Mark IV which I really like but also the intense Recto gain. I was unimpressed with the cleans of the Rectoverb and with the ability of the Mark IV to reach that intense high gain. I also accept that I may not have had enough time in the stores to properly dial either in.

So my question becomes is the Mark IV better at coming close to Recto super high gain or is a Recto better at coming close to Mark IV cleans?

I gather that I'd need a pedal to push the Mark IV toward a Recto if I go that route, would a V-Twin be a good choice to get me close?

So what do you think, Mark IV or Rectoverb? Any other suggestions are welcome (keeping in mind that is is primarily for home enjoyment).

Thanks in advance!

Hi zosojjc, Just a suggestion, but why not get a single recto and a mesa 2x12. It will be pretty ballsy for home but who cares. Of course, unless its a budget thing which is always a sensible restriction.

Just a thought, if its the recto sound you like!

I think the Mark IV has PLENTY of gain on tap and can be brutal. No additional pedals are needed. You do need to push it some to get the best out of it. I honestly prefer the Recto's. In fact, with a new set of JJ's in my Recto's preamp, I really enjoy the clean tone I get from it too.

David.W said:
Hi zosojjc, Just a suggestion, but why not get a single recto and a mesa 2x12. It will be pretty ballsy for home but who cares. Of course, unless its a budget thing which is always a sensible restriction.

Thanks for the responses. David, I do like the Recto gain but am left missing something with its cleans. How would a Single recto and 2x12 be get me closer to Mark IV cleans than a Rectoverb 3/4 combo?

It is the best combination of Mark IV cleans and Recto gain that I am after so whichever of the two can get the closest to the other's sound is what I'm asking.

zosojjc said:
David.W said:

Thanks for the responses. David, I do like the Recto gain but am left missing something with its cleans. How would a Single recto and 2x12 be get me closer to Mark IV cleans than a Rectoverb 3/4 combo?

It is the best combination of Mark IV cleans and Recto gain that I am after so whichever of the two can get the closest to the other's sound is what I'm asking.

I see your delema...

For what its worth, im in the process of "cleaning up my clean channel". Im looking into reverb/delay and some sort of exciter to give this channel some shine. But to be honest its not all that bad, it just needs some time given to it. You see not many people sit down to warmth and shine of a recto's first channel..hahah.

goodluck,
David.

I've owned both the Dual Rectifier and the Mark IV.
I currently have the DR, and i sold the mark IV.

Simply- the amp is more me. I can get the type of low-end crushing distortion I want, and somehow I prefer the cleans of the recto to the mark.
To each their own, but I love the recto's clean.
I would probably only trade my DR for an Bogner XTC or Road King.

dylan7620 said:
get a dual caliber.... rhythm channel of the mark IV with the lead of the recto. oh, and cheaper too :wink:

While I haven't actually tried a DC, I recommend trying the F-series.
In 10 seconds i dialed in my dream lead tone on that sucker.

Latest posts

Back