Channel 1 not working on my Lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtmd813

Reaction score
My Lonestar just started acting up, and the preamp isn't working on ch. 1.
The only knob that works is the presence.

any suggestions?

Now I am actually getting no sound through the channel. It was goin and then it would all of a sudden boost really loud, and now... nothing.
Channel 2 is working great still.

Sounds like it could be the power tubes because of the volume boost and drop. It is also very possible that you blew a preamp tube as well since you are having issues with the pesence. Do you have an extra pair of power tubes to try? Are they older than 6 months?

Also, does channel two sound like it has lost tone/volume at all. If that is the case I am betting on your power tubes needing to be replaced.

joseph_68 said:
Sounds like it could be the power tubes because of the volume boost and drop. It is also very possible that you blew a preamp tube as well since you are having issues with the pesence. Do you have an extra pair of power tubes to try? Are they older than 6 months?

Also, does channel two sound like it has lost tone/volume at all. If that is the case I am betting on your power tubes needing to be replaced.

I just bought the amp used, and the guy before me had never changed the tubes (over a year old) so I changed them today, and am still having an issue.

dtmd813 said:
Now I am actually getting no sound through the channel. It was goin and then it would all of a sudden boost really loud, and now... nothing.
Channel 2 is working great still.

If channel 2 works fine in all modes & power levels then I doubt it's the Power Tubes.

What are your settings? Are both channels set the same (power, mode, rectifier etc.)?

For the heck of it, swap V1 & V2 and note what happens (if anything).

It could also be a dirty/bad channel master or gain pot, but lets trouble shoot first.

Dom

Channel 2 is still working great.

I tried swapping V1 and V2 and am still having the same issue.
Nothing has changed. No sound out of Ch 1 at any setting or volume.

Anything in the FX loop? Hard-bypass the loop, see what happens. Turn down (off) the Reverb.

You tried all the modes and powers on both channels right?

Have you contacted the seller to see if this has ever happened before?

Dom

nothing in the loop, already hard-bypassed.

Turned off the reverb on both channels and it still isnt working.
nothing has changed yet.

I did talk to the guy that sold it to me, and he hasn't had this happen. He thinks that its the preamp tubes.

Yes I tried all modes. On both channels

I would contact the seller about it. Sounds like you got a bum amp.

Maybe someone else on the board might have some other ideas?

Do you know any good amp techs that might take a look at it for you?

Dom

I am in Los Angeles, and there are a few good places here to take my amp, including Mesa Boogie Hollywood. I am kinda bummed that I got a lemon, But I did get it at a great price, and I am sure that I will be able to get it fixed.

dtmd813 said:
I did talk to the guy that sold it to me, and he hasn't had this happen. He thinks that its the preamp tubes.

Yes I tried all modes. On both channels

If swapping V1 & V2 didn't change anything I would doubt it's a pre-amp tube issue. You could also try swapping V1 & V2 with V3 & V4.

Dom

Try another new tube in V5. I've had phase inverters go bad on me causing problems with one channel. Also did you change out the rectifier?

I AM BACK IN BUSINESS!!!

My preamp controls are working and I have great clean/crisp sound.

I am definately going to monitor this for a while and I will still call Mesa on Mon.

Thanks guys for all your help! much appreciated
Thanks, Dom

Are you using the footswitch? I seem to remember that when I got mine, I couldn't change channels, broken wire in the footswitch cable.

Changing tubes won't help. Channel 2 uses all of the same stages as Channel 1 plus an additional one.

What are the power settings set at?
Mine wouldn't work in the 15 or 5 watt settings. I went crazy trying to think of what it could be. It was a simple rectifier tube.

If it started working on it's own, it should be a really simple fix, like a bad relay or LDR. Shouldn't take the Hollywood guys very long at all.

Well, what was it?

I had a problem with my Dr. Z Z28 once, just went totally silent, but the tubes were still lit up. Turned out the rectifier tube went bad.

Latest posts

Back