Carvin TS100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88Park

Reaction score
Is anyone using the Carvin TS-100 for the Triaxis? If so, how do you like it?

I'm also considering the Mesa 20/20...same question, anyone using this combo?

Thanks

I too am interested in the Carvin power amp as the mesa's lack the bridging option. Anyone used these puppies?

Cheers.

I've got one. I hated the GT EL34s that come stock in this amp. Too harsh for me, but I've pretty much always been a "6L6 guy", so I went with the SED =6L6= and love the TS100 now. Changing tube types is as easy as flipping two switches. You can also adjust the bias with two pots. The amp ships kinda cold, but I haven't fooled with it. Around 2-3:00 the TS100 really opens up for me with my two Thieles. Very balanced sound. I do wish it was a little stronger in the low end, but what can you do?

I had a Mk IV before this setup, and I like the sounds I'm getting now over it. The TS100 does lack some of the headroom of the MK IV (and the 2:90), and of course, doesn't have Simulclass or any kind of "modifier" switching.

Would I turn down a 2:90? Probably not, but the TS100 makes for a really nice, lower cost alternative.

Thanks for the reply. I just got back from testing one in the shop but I did bring my entire rig in inc my Mes cab :D

I didn't end up buying it cause I actually preferred my Rocktron250 SS! I found the Carvin too loose in the bottom end and the highs seems brittle compared to the Rocktron. As you said, somewhat cold. It did have the stock tubes in it though.

Oh well..... saved me some money I guess. Looks like I've found my power amp. Unless I score a cheap Mesa at some stage 8)

i have a triaxis with the 20/20 and it smokes. The 20/20 is a very agressive amp for sure. It will "color" your sound quite a bit.....it makes the sounds coming from the triaxis more "lively" and it provides alot of additional bite to the sound as well. my friend has a triaxis with a 290 and we can use the same guitar and cabinets and just interchange the 20/20 and 290 and it sounds like 2 completley different rigs to my ears.

I reckon I'll go the 2020 later when I don't have to play in ridulously loud heavy bands :lol:
It sounds like a great amp although I'm yet to actually hear it.
Getting a bit off topic but what's the volume like compared to a 5050?

rdomain said:
I reckon I'll go the 2020 later when I don't have to play in ridulously loud heavy bands :lol:
It sounds like a great amp although I'm yet to actually hear it.
Getting a bit off topic but what's the volume like compared to a 5050?

A little less. The real *problem* with 20/20 is that it breaks up sooner than 50/50: that may be a problem or not, depending on what you want to make with it. If you wanna stand against a full Recto fury and keep some clean headroom you may be disappointed, if you just wanna rock and roll, plug a guitar and make it scream, it may be your choice.

I used to play it with a TriAxis and a Recto 2x12 cab, and never went past 5 on the Volume, and that kept it clean enough. I often ended up using just one channel, otherwise it'd have been too loud.

A poweramp I'd regret I have sold, if I hadn't had my custom poweramp built :)

Cheers for the info. Sounds like something I might like down the track. For now I enjoy my huge amount of headroom :twisted:

I'll keep lugging :evil:

my old band had both me and the other guitar player using a triaxis and marshall cabinets at the time. The only difference was that my rig had a 20/20 and his had 290. I never once had any problem keeping up as the 20/20 always easily provided enough stage volume for any gig we played...in fact many times i ended up turning it down......thats not to say it was as loud as the 290 cause its not......the fact is that 99% of the time the stage volume needed at gigs I played was easy for the 20/20 and the 290 just purred along barely being used by my buddy.

masque said:
the fact is that 99% of the time the stage volume needed at gigs I played was easy for the 20/20 and the 290 just purred along barely being used by my buddy.

Same to me.
I think 2:90 is a beast that finds almost no application in the "real world". As I strongly believe that a stereo amp for a guitarist is as useful as a machine to sharpen butter, I'd love to see a stripped down, mono version of a 2:90 (the mighty 1:90 :D ) with Simul Class and voicings but without the huge, useless 180W of pure 6L6 tube power (and weight) :)

When I had my mono poweramp made, I asked the manufacturer to have it with Simul Class, but he said "no way" as it is a patented circuit :|

I agree somewhat with the stereo poweramp concept. Live I always run mono even though I use 2 amp sounds. I blend them using my Repeater as a mixer and then send a mono output. I don't trust some mixer to get my levels right :?

When I had my mono poweramp made, I asked the manufacturer to have it with Simul Class, but he said "no way" as it is a patented circuit
hehe..... worth a shot :lol:

Back