Carvin Mesa copy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my friend has an older carvin tube head. when I saw it, many years ago, I thought the same thing; boogie copy, at from the looks, but I never played through or heard it.

The 100B it's a very good amplifier for the money, used to have one and was a very decent amplifier, Carvin recently re-issue this model, the eq works very good and it does noce cleans and classic distortion leads.

Ah... the old X100B!!

I had one and they're not bad at all. Really screamed when turned up loud, as a real tube amp should. Not a Mesa, though. I sold mine to buy my Studio Cal 22+.

I am glad I did, but I wish I could have kept both. The 100B would have been a good candidate for a modern tube "modeler" in front of it.

Worth buying if you can get one fairly cheap. :D

I had an oak Carvin X100 with an EV speaker. (Can you say "boat anchor?") Up until recently a friend was still playing through it. The power section is pretty much a standard 100 watt Boogie/Twin Reverb type, but the Carvin preamp has active EQ and a different overdrive structure. I could never get a decent OD sound out of it, but the clean sound was good. I used to use it for backline for touring bands I did sound for. A jazz cello player used it once and was skeptical to say the least, but by the end of the show he said it was "happening."

I used to have an Ampeg VT60 and someone once referred to it as a Mesa MK copy. Cool little amp.
I much prefer my MKIV though.

The Carvin X-series is nothing like the Mark series.
They're more like a poorly-voiced Marshall with active EQ.

People just think that they're copies because the cosmetics are similar.
This is not true.

dodger916 said:
I'll bet it kicks ***. I had an Acoustic 65 watt, 2 channel tube combo that was great. It was from the mid-eighties, no C+, but it was a great amp nonetheless. Weighed a ton too!

I think Mesa even threatened legal action against Acoustic Control Corp. over that one...supposedly some of the circuit design was a little too similar!

Latest posts

Back