Can We Get Some Love For the F-50 Amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
Ok
I know it''s not the most popular Meas out there. But I really like this amp, I like the distortion channel and the clean sounds very good. I just sold my LSS because it seemed muddy and maybe not enough on the drive channel! It was just collecting dust so I sold it on the eBay! Anyone using an Eq with there Mesa amps?

yo love my f50 it kicks *** on all levels for me, I never got so many compliments on how great a amp sounds as my f50

I'm in. I love mine. It can cover alot of ground imo. Does the classic rock thing real well, which is the sound I mainly go for. Have'nt tried an eq with it but from what I've read it's a good thing to do. Dont think I'll ever want another amp.

ok we have 2 happy f-50 owners!! Who used a EQ with there mesa

Many, many happy F-50 users:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856&perpage=100&pagenumber=1

I love my F-50. Nice clean channel, if maybe a little stiff, though it cuts through a mix perfectly. Great, flexible dirty channel, with a perfect lead boost built in, though it does tend toward the higher-gain side of things. Everything I need, nothing I don't. It's a simple amp, but flexible enough to cover a lot of ground.

The F-50 1x12 combo was my first Mesa amp and I regret that I sold it when I did. I think if I had it now, I'd love it. An eq would be great with that amp as well. I may pick one up again some time.

Right now I'm really into my LS 2x12 combo. It's a version 1 and I can't believe how great the lead channel is.

I'm going to scour ebay and look for an F50 score though.

Dave

I just bought one two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Probably got one of the last new ones available around here.

It replaces a Mesa Nomad 45 1x12 which I found a nice amp and served me nicely for years but I really wanted the 6L6 tone again.

FWIW but some of you might find the following interesting:

Last Tuesday I gathered with my guitar teacher for a 'gear test evening'.
I brought my F-50 (1x12 combo) along with an extra 1x12 cab loaded with Eminence RWB, my G-Major, Fulldrive II (Mosfet) and BYOC overdrive while he came with his (by himself) modded Ceriatone Overtone Special 50 with a 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion G12-65 and off we go in an empty building isolated enough to turn it up.
Guitars were his Strat copy build by one of the best luthier here in the Netherlands, a fantastic sounding and playing guitar nad my custom build by the same luthier (a common friend), solidbody set neck HSH, also fantastic sounding and playing!

After about three relatively (but not outrageously) loud hours the common opinion in short was:
  • - Both amps sound real good and please both owner and buddy
    - Ceriatone does have better clean (real piano like bass with the strat) and better dynamic and the low gain is tone heaven and dynamic control with pick attack or guitar volume is a pleasure to experience.
    - F-50 has more gain (who had doubts?) and is more in your face, less subtile but on the clean channel with the Fulltone I was very close to the Ceriatone
    - Both amps seem to have the same tone texture like they'd have the same bloodline.
On the side we also noted that the Mesa sounds much better with it's own C90 speaker than with the g12-65 while the Ceriatone sounded best with the g12-65. Not bad with the C90 but it sounded more like a Mesa than like itself. The Eminence RWB was also not great with the Ceriatone, not bad but just average.

The Ceriatone, beeing only a Dumble clone but supposed to be close enough, is really a great amp, but the F50 has nothing to be ashamed of and stood proudly, with the Boogie bark and what I find a great warm full clean and singing lead (it's mine after all!).

And both guitar players went back home with a smile on their face and a good ringing in their ears and found a sounding sleep full of dreams of great tones and solos and fame and that's all for tonight kids. Tomorrow I'll tell you the fairy tale of the princess and her prince with his white '62 strat and snakeskin Dumble that changes into a toad.

Cheers
Fabien

I bought my F50 about a month ago. It's my first Mesa, and I love it!!! I play in a club band, doing all types of music and it sounds fantastic, whatever I'm playing.
It didn't come with a footswitch or cover and it had taken a knock, a small tear in the speaker grille cloth. It was new and unused, but I got it so cheap, it didn't matter.
30 quid later and a new F50 footswitch was bought from ebay, 10 quid got me 4 foot roll of wicker cane which replaced the black cloth, I think it now looks as good as it sounds, and I can't imagine ever being without it!

No need an outboard EQ for it... yet, you can never have too much gear.

Big love for the F50
:D

The F50 is awesome. It actually seems to overpower my Mark IVs at times. It has a voicing that seems to combine the tightness of a Mark with some of the Recto roar (without the mud). I haven't tried or really needed to use an EQ in the loop (playing hard rock / metal covers mostly).

My only complaint is that the FX loop is parallel (like the Recto) instead of serial. This works fine for delay and chorus, but makes 100% wet effects impossible.

John Vasco said:
Yes, yes, yes!

Absolutely superb amp. The Lesters help, as well.

Your Lesters are backwards! You might wanna get your money back. Freaking quality control! :wink:
Seriously, nice guitars!

SeasonOfPain said:
The F50 is awesome. It actually seems to overpower my Mark IVs at times. It has a voicing that seems to combine the tightness of a Mark with some of the Recto roar (without the mud). I haven't tried or really needed to use an EQ in the loop (playing hard rock / metal covers mostly).

My only complaint is that the FX loop is parallel (like the Recto) instead of serial. This works fine for delay and chorus, but makes 100% wet effects impossible.
There is a simple Mod for the F-50 FX loop to make it serial, I did it too my F-50 and really liked it!!
I also added a MXR Kerry King 10 -EQ and wow this pedal sounds awesome with my rig.

Back