Can the Mark IV do Santana?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holdsworth

Reaction score
I'm looking to get an amp. An amp that will cut-out all the nonesense of having to compensate for lack of something with the addition of extra pedals. An amp that will serve me so well that I don't have to upgrade ever again, and I can just play my guitar in the safety of the knowledge that I don't have to worry about the equipment I play through, just concentrate on my guitar playing. An amp that does it all, basically.

One thing I need to know first though...

Does the Mark IV do Santana? Can it emulate the famous 'singing' lead tone of a MkI?

I don't know if I can get exactly Santana's tone, but I feel I can get pretty close.

holdsworth said:
Does the Mark IV do Santana? Can it emulate the famous 'singing' lead tone of a MkI?
With the right guitar, absolutely!

t0aj15 said:
holdsworth said:
With the right guitar, absolutely!

That's great! I was contemplating getting a Mark IIb combo w/extension cab instead of a brank spanking new Mark IV combo, but having heard what Mk IV owners have said about the amps versatility, and it's ability to produce vintage singing leads and modern high-gain, I think the Mark IV would cover my needs.

Basically, I just need an amp with a very sweet, characteristic lead sound with plenty of sustain and dripping with overtones. I mainly compose and perform instrumental guitar music, electronic music and classical music, so I need something versatile, but not synthetic sounding, something organic. My playing is extremely legato, ala Holdsworth, but I also love the santana-style singing lead. The Mark I is a little too vintage for me, and i need something with a little more cleanliness and power.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I think I'm sold on the Mark IV. Oh well, there goes my savings, those things cost £2000+ over here. Maybe I should just get a nice, cheap Cornford stack...

holdsworth said:

Oh, yes!

Lead channel, play around with drive and gain (probably up around 6-8), pull fat, kick up the master vol.
It's in the neighboorhood definitely! Sweet singing leads!
I don't have any clips but I'll play around with it today and see if I can get some exact settings. Humbuckers or P90s will help get there.

Tone Tubby speakers help a lot in getting a authentic Santana tone that and use your neck pickup with the tone rolled off around 1/2 way.

Latest posts

Back