Can A Missing Ring In a Tip/Ring Speaker Cable Cause Noise?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
Quick question; on your typical Tip/Ring cable (speaker cable in this instance) does the Black plastic ring act as a ground?

In my quest to troubleshoot the mp hum in my TOV, I noticed that the ring on the speaker cable is gone. I am wondering if this would contribute to the hum/ground/noise issue I seem to be having, as everything else seems to check out fine (have not re-tubed yet though).

So I plan on soldering on a new tip/ring as either way I can;t imagine the ring missing to be a good thing, but could it contribute noise or hum?

Thanks in adavnce.

It's not a "ring'. It's an insulator between the "tip" and the "sleeve". A "ring" would be a much shorter "sleeve", insulated from both the "tip" and the longer "sleeve". This would be called a "Tip/Ring/Sleeve", or "TRS" cable. Your hum results from a short circuit between the now un-insulated tip and sleeve. Methinks thou dost needeth a new plug.
By the way, is your "speaker cable" two-conductor, un-shielded?
It should be. All speaker cables are "TS" (Tip/Sleeve).

Hmm, well I fell like a douche now :oops: . Its weird that I always thought TRS meant...anyways, thanks for the clarification. :lol:

To answer your questions, yes.... Everything is in fact stock and and the same as what came out from Mesa. I just happened to notice that the insulator ("black ring", HA!) was missing and common sense dictated that probably wasn't a good thing and may cause noise.

Cool I think, hopefully, I may have cleared up my problem. Looks like I need a new replacement jack.

Thanks again.

Maybe we should stop piling on the guy.
Sorry, OP dude, didn't mean to sound harsh.

Back