cab gassing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatoni

Reaction score
i just bought a genz benz g flex to replace my widebody112. and im still kinda in the mode of buying cabs. i really want to buy an avatar 212 and i just need someone to tell me either that im stupid because the g flex is way cooler or to get the avatar because for the price it cant be beat. i dont know what to do but i know i need to do it before the avatar sells...

You don't need the avatar....the G-flex is a great cab, and while good for the money, Avatars are basically budget cabs. IMO, they fall short of others (such as Mesa or Genz Benz).

Try a mesa trad 4x12.. you will never want another cab ever again..

until you start having to move it 3-4 times a week.

on the other hand it's a killer cab. personally i have had experience with both (mesa 412 and the g-flex) and i would choose the genz for a gigging cab, but i might choose the mesa if i wanted it to look cool under a dual recto head. as far as sound quality, i would give a slight edge to the mesa, but not enough to justify the extra weight and cost, imo.

i would stick with the genz for a while and concentrate on practicing, cause that's what will really make you sound good.

as far as avatar, they are budget priced but they use quality components and their construction is surprisingly good. they offer many more speaker options than either mesa or genz, including multiple type configurations. pretty impressive for a budget company. as far as i know they don't offer a ported guitar design like the genz but for a standard sealed or open backed guitar cab, they're top notch. heck they even offer line-x spray coating.

Boogafunk said:
Try a mesa trad 4x12.. you will never want another cab ever again..

until you start having to move it 3-4 times a week.

on the other hand it's a killer cab. personally i have had experience with both (mesa 412 and the g-flex) and i would choose the genz for a gigging cab, but i might choose the mesa if i wanted it to look cool under a dual recto head. as far as sound quality, i would give a slight edge to the mesa, but not enough to justify the extra weight and cost, imo.

i would stick with the genz for a while and concentrate on practicing, cause that's what will really make you sound good.

as far as avatar, they are budget priced but they use quality components and their construction is surprisingly good. they offer many more speaker options than either mesa or genz, including multiple type configurations. pretty impressive for a budget company. as far as i know they don't offer a ported guitar design like the genz but for a standard sealed or open backed guitar cab, they're top notch. heck they even offer line-x spray coating.

I tour with mine and it is a real Sh!t to move.. i understand but the sound makes it worth it..

Also there not as hard to move around as orange quads..

same topic...kinda. i bought the genz benz and its pretty sweet but i think i might trade it and some other stuff for a g&l s-500 deluxe. that is gonna leave me with a widebody 112. i was wondering if the carvin legacy 412s are cool. they are so cheap (like barely costing more than the speakers they come with). is that gonna be a step in the wrong direction or should i do it?

Last Summer, I sold my 70s Hiwatt 4 X 12" cab (one of the better 4 X 12" cabs IMO) and went to Marshall 1965B 4 X 10" cabs. The sound isn't quite as big of course but it sounds better than all the 2 X 12" cabs I tried. It is also noticeably lighter and moves 25% more air than a 2 X 12" cab. 4 X 12"s are a ***** to move and any decent gig has a PA that should be able to make a Fender Champ sound huge. I know I might get some flame for this but for the most part, at the typical gig 4 X 12" are there mostly for looks and aren't really needed. Anyone with a Mark series amp knows this. I have built some detuned cabs and have one single 12" detuned cab that sounds closer to a 4 X 12" cab than any 2 X 12" cab I have heard. Of course, it is also as large as a 4 X 12" cab, so there is that drawback.

Latest posts

Back