C+ AND IV THE A/B TEST REPORT..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will increasing the 10pf cap to 20pf produce a broader sound (more bottom)? And if I am correct it will affect both Clean and Drive modes right?

Thank you.

Yes, but only to a certain extent. The 10pf dulls the clean channel. With the signal being passed on when the lead mode is engaged it will have an effect, although minimum. The .001 mod is specifically for the lead channel as certain people, and its designers think it is too bright as well.
Having both would darken the preamp to a certain degree and the tone stack would be altered in how effective it is on the darker signal. It mainly allows you to open up the treble more, and with this being the first control in the entire signal chain it will change the overall tone and increase input signal of the amp and allow the other controls to become more dominant. It is a small amount though. The fender style tone stack really are like volume controls for their specific frequencies. Notice how there is no signal with all the controls down.

My C+ is a Simul so it may already have the 20pf. I will have to open up and take a look. I don't think it has the .001 cap across the V4A plate load resistor. I feel that the Drive channel is too bright and the Clean channel is a little dark. I am very used to my Mk I's and they have a nice bouncy chime with this great wood characteristic. The C+ is just an animal, nothing bouncy or pretty about it. Up front and demands your attention! The IIB is in the middle leaning toward the Mk I.

Just another players opinion.

Ok, so my Simul C+ has the .001 across the V4A plate load resistor already. Also it has the 10pf cap across the 3.3M resistor. I am going to try a 20pf just to see what happens. We'll see.

Thanks.

boogiehead2.JPG

Latest posts

Back